Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #21 
Sakura8

Unfortunately, yeah, Maracyn Two has to be made up fresh for each batch so when treating in anything smaller than a 10gal, you end up wasting a lot. That part sucks big time.

Here's the method I use: Get something that holds 5 cups of dechlorinated water. Add the two packets. Then you add 1/2 cup of medicated water per gallon so . . . (*sucks at math*) like, a quarter cup or something like that? (*really really sucks at math*).

Wow, that is a huge waste though, isn't it? :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #22 
RillC

With the 100% daily changes, it will be a ton of waste. At least the medicine is near its expiry date so using it up will be a good thing I guess.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #23 
tekkguy

If you have a good kitchen scale and want to do the math, you can weigh the meds, and then dose out the correct amount.

Total weight of meds / 20 = amount of meds you need to dose .5 gallon tank
Total weight of meds (BEFORE FIRST DOSE) / 40 for subsequent days

Last edited by tekkguy; 03-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #24 
RillC

A scale is not something I have to work with, but thanks for the info tekkguy.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #25 
RillC

Okay, first dose is in. Psusennes is definitely NOT HAPPY to be out of his home. He hasn't been out of that tank since I first put him in and he has never been netted before. He's a bit clamped up, but I think that may be from the net experience. I wasn't able to get him into the cup with the filter, heater, and leaf hammock in the way and he has been spending a lot of time at the bottom. I'll keep an eye on him for a while and see how he settles in.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Go Psusennes! Good luck, RillC!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #27 
RillC

Day 1: He unclamped after an hour or so and started exploring a little. All three breakfast pellets were quickly gobbled and he seems more active today. I think he's not hanging around on the bottom as much either. Here's a picture. I didn't have any extra decor so it's rather bare, but he doesn't seem to mind too much for now. Looks like it's working! I wonder how much improvement I might expect to see by the end of the treatment time and how to tell if he's well enough to go back home. The bare rays don't seem as red anymore.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #28 
Sakura8

If the Maracyn Two is working its magic, then you should see the black growth fall off and new clear growth start to come in by the end of the treatment. In this case, I would actually consider continuing with the Maracyn Two for an extra few days to make sure the bacteria is completely gone; stopping treatment too early may result in the rot coming back resistant to treatment.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #29 
RillC

Well, what I thought were bare rays have turned out to be long filaments up to 1 cm in length. They turn open like small feathers and some have fallen off. I first noticed this yesterday. They are almost clear, just a bit white and I haven't seen anything like it before. Is this common or is something strange happening? You can just make them out hanging from the fin in the picture above. Those little dangling bits near the middle of the area affected by the fin rot? They're the ones that turned into feathery things with a central shaft and lines coming off it on both sides. Not sure how else to describe it, but a couple of them had fallen off by last night's water change and the ones today seem to have gotten longer and unfurled more.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:33 PM   #30 
Sakura8

It could have been dead tissue falling off in order to allow new growth to come in. Every fin heals differently and to be true, some don't grow back at all. o.O I am unfortunately not an expert in fin structure (breeders would know that best) but it does sound to me like new growth is possibly coming in with dead tissue falling off. Let's hope so. The most important part is if the black rot has stopped progressing.