Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #31 
RillC

Well, I think I'll have to keep the Maracyn going for an extra couple of days. Those feathery tufts did break off, but what was left on him grew back. Then some fell off and it's growing back again. It's really strange and I have no idea what is going on. It seems to grow upwards of 1/2cm per day off of that fin. I did get a picture this time with the table in the background so it shows up better. The two whitish tufts were about half that length last night.
Attached Images

RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #32 
Sakura8

I wonder if his anal fin is really fragile after that bout with fin rot so new growth breaks off easily. Yes, it's okay to continue with the Maracyn for a few more days; better to make sure the bacteria is all gone than risk stopping to soon. Other than his anal fin, he's looking pretty good. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #33 
RillC

That's just it, this doesn't look like new growth. It's whitish feathery fluff. It doesn't have any resemblance to fin tissue at all. New growth also would not be growing that fast. Half a cm in a day makes me worry that there is a fungal setting in here.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #34 
Sakura8

Does it look like shedding slime coat? Maracyn Two has been known to cause excess slime coat production.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #35 
RillC

I have no idea. I've never seen a fish shedding the slime coat before so I wouldn't know what to look for. Would it be restricted to the area where the fin rot was happening? That's the only place this is showing up.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #36 
Sakura8

A lot of the time, the slime coat comes off the tips of the fins so that could be why it's only where the fin rot was. Usually what it looks like is white stringy stuff coming off the fins and sometimes the body but the fish otherwise looks and acts healthy. It often happens the most after a fish has been in medication or aquarium salt.

If the white stringy things continue but the fins are healing and you no longer need to use the Maracyn Two, then we may consider a so-called anti-fungal medication. I say so-called because all of the diseases we think are fish fungus are actually bacteria. o.O A med with acriflavine would be best, such as Fungus Cure.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #37 
RillC

I think it might soon be time to consider the anti fungal type. The fuzzy fluff is still there today and there is now a tuft on his dorsal fin. Looks like it is starting to spread, whatever it is.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #38 
Sakura8

Stop the Maracyn then. We'll give him a day or two in plain dechlorinated water and then start him up on the antifungal. Look for Jungle Labs Fungus Clear. It's usually at Walmart or Petsmart. Dosing can be a little tricky since they are tabs though.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #39 
RillC

Glad I checked back before doing tonight's water change. I'm not sure if the closest pet store will have it, but I'll check there tomorrow. If not, I can go to Walmart/ Petsmart on Friday since they're a much longer trip to reach. He'll be started on it no later than Friday evening so long as I can find it. Any alternatives to look for in case I can't find this one? Selection here can be iffy sometimes. We can figure out the dosing once I have the medicine at least.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #40 
Sakura8

If Petsmart has it, API Fungus Cure will work as well. In fact, it would be easier if you went with Fungus Cure first since it comes in liquid and powder form, easier to dose.