I'll see what I can find then. Thanks for all of your help so far with this. At least he has been active and having a healthy appetite despite the illness and the cool temperature in the hospital tank. I'm looking forward to getting him back into the warm tank though. He will be too.
I was able to find the API Fungus Cure at the local pet store. It's being a crazy night considering what I have due tomorrow so I plan to give him the second day break from medicine and start this one tomorrow. He still has some fuzzies, but since he refused to get in the cup last night and I had to chase him with the net, he managed to shake off a few of the longer tufts. He is really good at evasion, pulling 180s like nothing else. At least he is being a tough boy for this. It says here to add 1 packet for 10 gallons, repeat dose after 48 hours, wait another 48 hours, then change 25% of the water and put the filter back in. So how will this be managed with my unfiltered 1/2 gallon hospital tank? I know it's the same dosage as the Maracyn, but the water change is not going to wait 4 days in that tank!
I managed to convince him to get in the cup this time, but I didn't expect there to be quite so much green dye in this medicine! No trouble to tell it's in there, but I hope the dye will come out of the jug and measuring cup after this is done. He doesn't seem quite as active now, but then again breakfast has not been served yet.
I don't think Psusennes cares much for the green water. He's been a bit listless and wasn't much interested in the food yesterday. Of course that could be because he thought I was going to try to cup him every time I lifted the cover off the tank. He REALLY doesn't like that. Or maybe he couldn't see it as well with the colored water? Who knows. The fuzzies seem to have stopped growing at least. There's still about 2-3mm of fluff hanging off of the fin, but it isn't growing fast like it was before.
Well, we're heading toward the final day of treatment and not only has the fluff not started to fall off, it's starting to grow again. It is definitely getting to more than a 1/2 cm long sheet from the tattered section of fin. I'm starting to get worried again. What's the plan for if this medicine doesn't help?
After double bouts with medication, I think the best plan is to put him in clean, nonmedicated water for at least a few days and see how he handles that. There could be a chance that the fluff is excess slime coat caused by all the medication. If it continues to grow and spread after being in clean water, maybe try Triple Sulfa, as long as you aren't allergic to sulfa meds.
He isn't as listless now. Even though he is being more active, he still doesn't seem to have much appetite right now. My other boy, Ramesses, is now on a few days of fasting since he's looking a little bloated. Silverfang says that's more common in crowntails? At any rate, he's more than 2 years old so I'm thinking I might want to reduce the amount of food on offer in general for him. He isn't a very active fish most of the time so I may have been slightly overfeeding with a total of 5 pellets per day. After the few days fast I plan to put him on 2 morning and 2 night to see if that helps.