Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #51 
Sakura8

Yes, crowntails can be prone to bloating because they have shorter bodies. Halfmoons, doubletails, and delta tails also have the same problem with halfmoons probably being the most prone to bloating and constipation.

You can try 1 tsp of epsom salt per gallon for Ramses along with the fast. 5 isn't bad but in general, it's always best to underfeed than overfeed so going down to 4 won't hurt.

How is Psusennes now? Does he still have the stringy fluffy stuff?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #52 
RillC

He doesn't seem to have a shorter body than Psusennes does in proportion to his fins, but I could be mistaken. I've always included one fast day per week to try to avoid any digestive troubles with them. Psusennes does have some strings remaining, but they seem a little shorter today.
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #53 
Sakura8

That's good the strings are shorter.

I think part of the body length depends on genetics. Crowntails have longer bodies than halfmoons but shorter than veiltails but if Ramses had some veiltail somewhere in his heritage, he might have a longer body than some crowntails.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #54 
RillC

There's a tiny bit of string from his fin now, but at least he's got his appetite back. I may need his hospital tank for Ramesses since that bloating hasn't cleared up with fasting alone and with Psusennes soon heading back to the main tank, I think Ramesses had better have the hospital tank to himself for an epsom salt treatment. I need to pick some up today. Once again, I haven't needed it before so I hadn't invested in any.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #55 
Sakura8

I'm glad to hear Psusennes is improving but darn about Ramses. :( You may want to borrow some of Silverfang's Kanaplex for Ramses and be prepared to use that along with the epsom salts.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #56 
RillC

Let's see now. You said 1 tsp epsom salt per gallon so that would be 1/2 tsp for the 1/2 gallon. I will be doing a water change in the main tank first, then acclimating Psusennes back into it, cleaning out the hospital tank, and getting Ramesses into it for his salt treatment. How long does it usually take for epsom salt to work? I haven't seen any sign of poop on his side since the fast started and he hasn't gotten any smaller in the belly either.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #57 
Sakura8

If his problem is definitely constipation, it could take a few days. If you have any brine shrimp, you might try feeding that as it is relatively high in fiber.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #58 
RillC

Ok, Psusennes is growing fin again so I put him back home. Acclimation was shorter than I would like due to the cup tipping over in the tank, but he did get about 20-25 minutes. He was all over the place exploring when he got in. Ramesses is starting to look like the scales on his sides are stuck out from the bloating so I wasted no time in getting him into the cleaned out hospital tank. Epsom salt is in so we'll see how he does.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:13 PM   #59 
Sakura8

Happy about Psusennes but worried for Ramses. Definitely ask if you can borrow some of Silver's Kanaplex.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #60 
RillC

Psusennes has been happily nesting. Ramesses did get a snack pellet on Sunday to keep his strength up after a 5 day fast, but 2 days of epsom salt has not resulted in any poop. I have the Kanaplex now. It says one scoop per 5 gallons so that's 2.5 cups for mixing and then 1/4 cup in the tank water for 1/2 gallon? I'm worried about him, but he is still active at least.