Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 PM   #61 
Sakura8

With Kanaplex, it would probably be best to just eyeball it. I was told by Seachem that a half scoop is suitable for 1 gallon so if you can try to get like a 1/4 scoop, that will be fine for a half gallon.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #62 
RillC

Well, no luck so far. He got the dose of Kanaplex last night. It says every other day for a max of 3 doses so none tonight, correct?
RillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #63 
Sakura8

Correct. You may want to continue the Kanaplex for a second course as well.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #64 
RillC

Exclamation

Ugh, Psusennes is having a setback. We had the power out for a bit less than 2 hours Wednesday. I don't know if that had any effect, but today he's had no interest in food, stayed in his plant or on the bottom, and now looks to be breathing hard at the bottom. I'm starting a 50% water change now. Anything else I can do for him? Ramesses remains unchanged. I am concerned about the amount of fasting he has been on to avoid bloating him more. He's had 2 pellets total in more than a week. I don't want to feed much though until he starts pooping so I don't overwhelm him. This is getting chaotic.

Last edited by RillC; 04-19-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #65 
Sakura8

RillC, the only thing you can do for Psusennes is to lower the water level or cup him if he really has trouble reaching the surface to breathe. I can't imagine that the power outage was long enough to cause any kind of troubles so this setback is probably unrelated. :(

For Ramses . . . well, fish can go for quite a long time without eating but in this case I'd rather see him eat so he can keep his strength up but it also doesn't make sense to put anything in if nothing is coming out. :/ If it's not already at that level, up the epsom salts to 3 tsps and try to keep the heat at 80 or so.

I hope both boys get better quickly. You've done all you can for them, you're doing a great job.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:39 AM   #66 
RillC

Unhappy

Looks like there was a lot more going on with Psusennes than I thought. It seems the fin rot has returned and is being very aggressive. See the first 2 pictures below. He is able to reach the surface, but lowering the water level for him means turning off the filter long term so he doesn't get swamped by current.

Ramesses is currently in an unheated 1/2 gallon hospital tank with 1/2 tsp epsom salt daily with water change. I would like to get him warmed up, but it's hard to do at that size. How would 3 tsp of epsom translate for this size of tank or should I switch them again? Psusennes to the colder hospital tank and Ramesses to the warmer main tank...would that help either of them? Two pictures of Ramesses are also included below.

Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #67 
RillC

I do have a second 1/2 gallon that I could use as another hospital tank. I'm wondering if the infection is still in the main tank. I might have to look into scouring that one and starting it over.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #68 
RillC

Okay, one 3 hour long trip to the biggest pet store in the area later, I now have a fresh batch of Maracyn 2 and a pack of Erythromycin available. I had given Silverfang back her medicines in exchange for the Kanaplex so I needed to get my own this time. I also have plenty of API Fungus Cure left. Plan is to get Psusennes out into the second hospital tank with one of the medicines. Which one do I use? I am going to add another 1/2 tsp of epsom salt to Ramesses to see if that helps and I hope that is not too much for the 1/2 gallon.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #69 
Sakura8

Okay, for Psusennes, use the Maracyn 2. For Ramses, the Kanaplex is the best med for him and the epsom salt. The good news is he's not pineconed but wow. Psusennes sure did have a setback. Darn it.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #70 
RillC

Two packets of Maracyn 2 dosed in the 1/2 gallon, measured as before. He found the energy to give me a chase with the net, but I really couldn't cup him when he surfaced so infrequently. He's on the bottom of the hospital tank and looks quite tired. A few chunks of reddened fin came off in the process so I scalded the net in the hottest water my sink can produce.

I'm going to change the water for Ramesses shortly. It's time for another Kanaplex round. Would it be 1 tsp epsom salt for the 1/2 gallon now instead of 1/2?