Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #1 
Selia25

Fin Rot and Sores?

Hi everyone. I'm just looking for some advice to be sure I'm treating my betta correctly. I got him from Petco last Sunday on a whim. He was introduced to his new home Monday. I've been watching him all week and I'm fairly certain he has fin rot, and maybe something else.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon - going to upgrade as soon as I can afford to, but it's what I had on hand.
What temperature is your tank? 82-84
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio-Gold Pellets, occasional Aqueon freeze-dried bloodworm
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2-3 pellets a day, was going to make tomorrow his no-feeding day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Did partial change on Wednesday, 100% change Friday, 100% change today
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Was using Tetra BettaSafe. Just purchased API Stresscoat and Aquarium Salt and added that today.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No - no test kit yet

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins seem to be slowly disappearing. Long red streak along his topline from behind his head to in front of the dorsal fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No real change - if anything he seems happier since he's in heated water. Still eating and darting around.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Wednesday during the partial water change.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Today - aquarium salt and stresscoat.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure? Appears full grown.

I have some pictures, but I'm having a hard time getting them to save off of my camera. I'll try to get them up soon.

Thank you!
Selia25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #2 
callistra

Your tank is too hot. It needs to be 82F max and 80 is a better max.

You already know your tank is too small.. so while you have him there do two 50% and one 100% change a week.

Can you please share photos?

Also can you please make a list of all products and their brands that are in the tank?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #3 
Selia25

I'm trying to keep the temperature down. Unfortunately the heater I have is pre-set, and it's forcing me to unplug it periodically before things get too hot. That'll get better once I can get a bigger set up for him.

Currently in the tank is:

- Black Petco gravel substrate (just enough to cover the bottom, well rinsed in warm water prior to first use and rinsed at each 100% change)
- Petco silk plant, also well rinsed prior to first use and at each 100% change
- Marina betta 8w submersible heater
- API Stresscoat
- API freshwater aquarium salt
- Small glass thermometer (no brand listed)
Old 03-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #4 
callistra

It sounds like the one you have is defective. Stabilizing temperatures is just as important as keeping a warm enough one. If it's jumping all over because you have to manually remember to turn it off and back on again that's causing stress and weakening his immune system too. He really needs a new one asap.

Any new heater should be tested for 24 hours in similar size container with in tank thermometer to make sure it will hold a constant appropriate temp between 78-80F.

Okay sounds like there's nothing in there that has known to cause problems so that's good :)
Old 03-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #5 
Selia25

Finally had a chance to get the computer and camera to agree. Here are some pictures I took yesterday. I'll try to get a side view of him in his bowl too. Did another 100% water change today. He's naturally marbled with the dark purple - it's the brighter red that concerns me.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #6 
callistra

I see what you mean.. I really don't know. It's pretty hard to tell anything because of the natural red coloring. It does look kind of suspicious, but it may not be anything too..

I would watch it very carefully, keep up with water changes, find a way to stabilize your temp asap without having to manually adjust the heater, stress coat and aquarium salt (1 tsp per gallon predissolved). If you see it spread at all or he is not acting well he may need meds.. so you may just want to get them now and keep on hand. I would have Kanaplex on hand. If you can't find it maybe Triple Sulfa or Maracyn 1 and 2 in combo.

Also the bottom pic he's really clamped but the one above it he's a lot more relaxed.. any reason you know?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #7 
Selia25

Columnaris

So the fin rot has not improved. I tried 8 days of the conservative treatment using aquarium salt. After that I check with the LFS, who only half-listened to me and advised switching to BettaFix (time to find a new LFS?).

I've been doing 100% water changes nearly every day since this has started. The water temperature is stable at 78-80 without a heater in the bowl. When doing the change this evening I noticed that not only has the fin rot gotten worse and the red spot not improved, but he's going gray around his gills and the sides of his head. There's been no change to his behavior - he still eats like a little pig, swims around a fair amount, and is blowing plenty of bubbles. Based on the description below it seems like he might have the chronic form of Columnaris. Could that be right?

If that's what it is, what course of treatment would you recommend? Unfortunately I'm going to be very busy over the weekend due to the holiday, so I'll do a water change tomorrow night, and then he won't be touched until Sunday night or Monday. I don't have anyone I trust to follow my instructions to check on him or do a change in the interim.

I think the local Petsmart may have Maracyn 2. I'm not sure about Petco, but I was going to try to check at least one of the box stores tomorrow to pick something up. I'm just looking for some advise as to the best course of action.

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #8 
Selia25

Some updated photos. Sorry for the quality - I was using the phone on my camera and he didn't like that very much.
Attached Images