Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #1 
lmichaela94

Unhappy suddenly colorless, lethargic, and slightly bloated

Housing
What size is your tank? 1G
What temperature is your tank? unknown (don't have a thermometer). relatively warm
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x day, 3 pellets, one day fasting

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3x week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50, 50, 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? almost completely lacking color except for pale color in fins. has slight bloating
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic. only stays resting on the suction cup of his heater
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3/25/13
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? n/a
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? been in my care 1 month

So just yesterday he was absolutely fine, swimming about and flaring healthily with excellent color on him. Today, I wake up and try to feed him and he wouldn't budge from resting on his heater's suction cup. Also, usually when I turn his light off, by morning he's pale, and when I turn it on, he brightens up again. I thought "well, maybe he's just taking some time to wake up?" I come back from school and he still hasn't budged and I've noticed his belly is a bit distended. I took him out and cleaned his tank (right now he's sitting in his cup as I'm trying to acclimate him to the new water). In his cup, he just sits on the bottom and only goes up for air and is tilted when he's sitting (pics will be up in a sec). His scales aren't all pinecone-y, so I don't think it's dropsy? I read online just today (as I was looking up what could be the problem) and found out that freeze dried things can cause bloating and I would give freeze dried bloodworms to him as a treat, so I thought that might be a cause. But the whole leaning on his side makes me thing swim bladder disease.

Please help. I'm not very knowledgeable in all this and I'm scared for my fishy friend :(
lmichaela94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

Keep in mind that warm temperature for us could very well be 90 degress.
My advice: Don't use a heater unless you know what the temp of the tank is.

I did water changes in my tan with warm water and the water was actually 100 degrees and my fish was acting very similarly.

The bloating might be simply because of the food, so try to fast him for an extended period of time, or use epsom salt to help.
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #3 
logisticsguy

I am no expert here but have experience with similar problem. It could be a parasite. Thats what took my fav fish. At first I thoght it was dropsy and mine had similar bloating as yours. My first attack would be an Epson salt regime with clean warm water. Parasites can come in freeze dried or frozen food. Rash of parasites have happened recently from products made in China where standard for processing can be very low. I was told by veteran fish keeper to avoid bloodworms from SF Bay brand for instance and to opt for more expensive Hikari worms due to the superior process Hikari uses to ensure parasite free food. Hopefully a better keeper has more answers for you.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #4 
lmichaela94

These are the pics I took while he was in his cup
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #5 
lmichaela94

The freezedried bloodworms I gave him are Topfin and it says it's a product of Germany

As for temp, it usually feels about room temperature

And thank you for the quick reply!

Last edited by lmichaela94; 03-25-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #6 
lmichaela94

I'm noticing now a really bright red spot under his belly on the right side. I'll see if my camera will pick it up

edit;; his fin covers any time i try to take the picture
Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #7 
logisticsguy

Room temp is a little low for betta and the low temps can compromise the immune system leaving a betta more susecptable to infections. I would get a thermo just to see exactly what temp is at. Its really difficult to estimate without one.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #8 
lmichaela94

I'm asking my mother to get me one now. I can have both the thermometer and the epsom salts by tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #9 
Stone

Did he recently have finrot? his fins seem mighty short if not.....
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:26 PM   #10 
lmichaela94

His fins were really short in the store. I got him from PetSmart. They've been steadily growing back. Also they look shorter than they actually are in the pics