Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #1 
mergan25

What kind of food is best?

What am I looking for when I am getting Betta pellets? Is it best to go with pellets that have the highest protein and fat content? When I was at Petco last, one of the employees insisted that I needed these New Life Spectrum Betta Formula pellets. This container is over 2oz and cost $9.00! The employee said it's the food that has the most fish meal as opposed to wheat meal. I'm not sure how I can tell if this is true. What am I looking for when I am comparing the ingredients and nutritional information of food?

The first three ingredients in this product are: Whole Antarctic Krill meal, Whole Herring meal, and whole wheat flour.

Nutritional content:
Crude Protein (min) 37%
Crude fat (min) 5%

Personally, I'm not super happy that I paid $9.00 for this food. But what are your thoughts on food?
mergan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

New Life Spectrum (NLS) Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets are the two most frequently recommended foods on this forum.

Bettas need a high protein diet, and the foods that have quality protein (whole fish products) are more expensive than those that contain lots of grains (wheat, corn, soybean, etc) and fillers. Also, feeding lots of grain products can result in constipation and bloating.

NLS is a great product. But it sounds like you got a really big container though. When I was at Petco last, they had a bottle for $3.99, but I'm sure it smaller than 2 oz in size.

I only have a Petsmart near me, and they don't sell NLS. I feed my guys the Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. A 0.61 oz container cost $3.99, and will last a really long time.

So you did get a high quality food, which costs more than the cheaper products. And the larger size means... well, I suppose it means you'll probably reach the expiration date before you run out of food!

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You should read this- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=132497

IMHO NLS is the best pellet hands down. For once, a pet store employee was right. It's always worth paying a little bit more for a high quality food.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #4 
mergan25

Oh good, I'm glad it's the good stuff! But yes, it is a huge container. I was just wondering because I was comparing the percentage of protein with other foods, and the NLS didn't seem to have any more than other brands. So I didn't know how much of a difference that made.
mergan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's not the percentage of protein, it is the quality of it. NLS has much higher quality protein and less filler plus garlic and veggies.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #6 
Briz

Thanks for the information, I just went on amazon and got a container of NLS on sale for my bettas!
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

I wouldn't complain if I got decent betta food for that price. :p Round here, a packet of Hikari (nowhere near as good as NLS) is $12.95. My 0.53oz bottle of Attison's (which is almost as good as NLS) was $16.95.

But yes, NLS is excellent.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote