Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #1 
kelikani

Lightbulb Landscaping advice?

Okay so I want to redecorate my 10 gal. It used to be Spongebob themed but that got old so I went online shopping and came across a crocodile head I really liked. It's in there now and I really like how it looks.

I removed a Spongebob ornament and fake plants and suddenly the tank looks so empty. The Pineapple house will be out of there as soon as I find a replacement. The fish need a place to hide in the meanwhile.
I will be changing the gravel to another color. I also want to add in more plants. Any suggestions as to what else I should add?

Ignore the water level. I had to siphon water out to use in another tank.

Feel free to correct me if I'm doing anything wrong. I'm still new to all this. ^^
Oh, and if anyone needs to know, I have one female betta in the tank along with two dwarf frogs, four Cory cats, and a temporary Pleco.
kelikani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #2 
ryancalif

I like the gravel a lot. Adds a nice contrast.

Do you have a heater in there? I can't tell if that thing in the left is one or not.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #3 
kelikani

Thanks but I think it looks too kiddy in there. xD I'll get dark brown gravel or just pick out all of the colored bits.

Yes the blue/gray thing on the left is the heater.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

I like tanks with a theme. Since you've got your alligator head in there, what about something either prehistoric (like dinosaurs or fossils), or something alligator/swamp related?

As for your gravel, I second Ryan in that the contrast is good, but I agree with you that I'd take out the colored bits, or try to find some gravel in a brown color if you just really want to change it out.

And more plants. I load up all my tanks with silk plants, to the point that occasionally it is hard to find my bettas. ;)

Also, check ebay for good listings on unusual décor. My LFS's really never have what I'm looking for, but I've had good luck with ebay. Also, remember that anything food-grade is aquarium safe. In one of my tanks, I decorated it with lilies and found some frog salt and pepper shakers that went along perfectly with it. :) I would never have found what I wanted in regular aquarium décor, but the S&P shakers are just what I wanted. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:09 AM   #5 
Demysta

That spongebob house apparently has metal supports inside which can rust, so I'd take it out ASAP if I were you! Wal-Mart has these great skull decorations you could try and they'd be a matching theme with the crocodile! I have a very large dinosaur skull and it looks fantastic and my girls love swimming through it! :3
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #6 
kelikani

Blue Fish- Great idea, why didn't I think to check eBay? xD Thank you!

Demysta- Really? I had no idea. So far there isn't any rusting I can see. Do you think it'd be fine for me to leave it in there for a while longer?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #7 
Friendlyfishies

Love the croc head! I can picture childrens play sand or white/light brown aquarium sand! Black too. I use eco complete substrate its a bit pricier but I really like it, its black with redish grains mixed in, looks natural and seems to be doing well for most of my plants :) ...If your really patient and have the time, I'd just pick out the colored rocks and leave the black gravel, if you were looking to save money :) ...Then some real or fake driftwood with anubias tied to it and some floating plants, mint charlies or frogbit! More anubias tied to small rocks (craftstore river rocks are cheaper than pet store) and some nice tall plants like you already have around the back corners...how fun! Enjoy your aquascaping, its always exciting :D

Last edited by Friendlyfishies; 03-26-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decor, landscaping, ornaments, plants