Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Show off you snail tanks & bowls!

Anyone have a snail tank or bowl? Feel free to share. I am setting up mine today and planting it with extra plants...I'll take some photos as I go ;)
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 
OrangeAugust

I'm going to do this soon. Right now my snail tank is my 2 gallon plant growout tank.
But I have this cool glass cube that holds a little less than a gallon and I will plant it and put some snails in it.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #3 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
I'm going to do this soon. Right now my snail tank is my 2 gallon plant growout tank.
But I have this cool glass cube that holds a little less than a gallon and I will plant it and put some snails in it.
in a <1gal tank, you're gonna want to plant it HEAVILY or be prepared for a lot of water changes...snails (i'm assuming you're using either apple/mystery snails or nerites) put out a LOT of doodie...way more than a betta, so an unfilterable tank like that will need a lot of plants to cancel out a snail's bioload.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

I would add the snails slowly, and prepare the tank with some stem plants. in a 1 gallon snail tank I might just leave the stems to float ^_^. once the plant is actively growing, add the snails one at a time with no more than 1 snail every few days.
As for pest snails though, i, myself dump them in all at once.They can survive through some pretty harsh environments
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #5 
HeyBluejay

I hope everything goes well! Though a side note; I wouldn't recommend any less than 2 gallons per snail. They tend to produce quite a bit of waste; and grow very very quickly. I keep two apple/mystery snails in my Betta tank (they get along very well; my Betta is very entertained by them) which is a 5.6 gallon tank. Even in my 5 gallon two snails and a fish seems to be pushing it. As long as you're doing frequent water changes though, all should be well ;)
HeyBluejay is offline   Reply With Quote