Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #1 
registereduser

How do you know if a betta is blind?

My newest guy acts so strange. He has no reaction to movement outside the tank and often goes a little crazy zooming around and running into things

His eyes don't look different from any others. But he does have a sore/growth/pimple on the side of his head. Maybe a brain tumor? Parasite?

This is the original thread about him with photos http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=135217
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

You could try contacting AyalaCookiejar. She has a blind betta.

In fact, she has a journal for him: Tales of a blind betta
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 
registereduser

Thanks! I didn't know that!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #4 
Luimeril

does he react to you when you go in front of his tank? or react to his reflection? if not, those are two good signs that he may have trouble seeing...
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

My thread says exactly how I found out that my CT was blind and it happened gradually.

He stopped being able to find his food first. Then he started running face first into things. Then he stopped following my finger and being lethargic. He can still sort of sense light, though. If you see all four of those things, he's likely blind.

But I have also seen people with bettas who were only blind in one eye. My boy's eyes don't look any different.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #6 
registereduser

AyalaCookiejar I read your journal. Your fish is very active and normal acting compared to my weird little guy.

He doesn't react much but when he does he races around the QT tank (it's round) so fast that he bumps into the heater. There have been times when it seems like he reacted to my movements but usually not. There is nothing in the tank besides the heater so I can drop pellets right in front of his nose and he won't make a movement.

Not eating doesn't worry me, I've had hunger strikes last 2 weeks or more. But this guy seems to be in a trance. He's like frozen sometimes.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #7 
Luimeril

try getting a pellet that smells really strong. i fed Theo New Life Spectrum Grow. smells REALLY strong. if you can't, soak them in garlic juice or blood worm juice. feeding him in the same spot every single day may help, too, once he starts eating.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #8 
registereduser

I have frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp to try. I have NLS betta formula, I will soak them in garlic.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

My CT is very lethargic. He spends most of his time sitting in one place not moving, unless I open the tank lid and cause vibration or water movement, then he darts.

He has his appetite, but I haven't found a single type of food that I don't have to aide him in finding. I've tried both NLS and black gold, I believe, and he will not find it unless I somehow get it to touch his mouth. I usually just feed him freeze dried bloodworms soaked in VitaChem, because they are longer and easier to hang right by his mouth so it touches him.

He did not used to be so lethargic and I suspect that his blindness is genetic and that he also has other health issues due to poor genetics. I think he's also figured out that running face first into things isn't fun so he stopped swimming around so quickly.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #10 
Luimeril

your blind boy is lethargic? mine never was. unless you knew him the way i did, you'd not know he was blind. he'd memorized his tank layout, i never changed it, and he scooted about like my other fish. he was more skittish, though, and would dart into his Giant Pink Plant to hide... he knew that if i took off his tank lid, it was feeding time(which made cupping him for water changes super easy), and he didn't even freak out in his cup...