Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Yes, he is, and like I said, I suspect he has other health issues that are likely due to poor genetics. He has chronic SBD problems, he can't hold himself up normally (his back end is always lower than his head) and sometimes he stands on his tail or floats vertically, which I've been told is not a good sign and usually means their time is near. He also has quite a bit of fin damage, probably from getting it caught in stuff, possible tail biting from boredom, and also the fact that he is a CT and I have more alkaline water.

But I've had him since the middle of November, known he was blind since around the middle of December, and he's had that buoyancy and virtical floating issue for awhile and he's still alive. I can't say he's the happiest fish ever but he's seemed to come more to terms with it. Plus, he has his own 5 gallon heated tank with adequate water changes, VitaChem, and high quality foods.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #12 
registereduser

Ok I just had the bright idea of putting a mirror in there. After awhile he flared at himself. So he's not blind. Why didn't I think of that before?

He still has that pimple.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #13 
Luimeril

aahh. well, i knew my blind boy probably had other issues. he had this odd patch right behind his head. a little band that was a.... best way i can explain it is, it was a different white than the rest of his body.

he ended up passing on after i found him, unable to swim correctly. so i think he may have had a tumor inside. x:

and i'm glad your boy's okay, other than the pimple, registereduser! i hope you figure out what it is x:
Luimeril is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

He may be just partially blind (if he is at all). But the darting almost sound like, maybe, external/internal parasites, but I highly doubt that the growth has anything to do with it. I would say, though, that if he has no issues eating then he is definitely not blind. If he is not eating, I would try to feed him by getting food to actually touch his mouth. Bloodworms are easiest or larger pellets. This was my first clue that Bahari was blind. He was obviously starving but he just could not find the food and his sight went gradually.

Also, if you have not already, I'd message Sakura8 and/or Callistra to see if they might have another idea what the growth is.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #15 
nel3

i dont think ,my DT is blind though he does turn in too sharp most of the time to eat his food. looks more like a dog trying to bite his tail. he has almost no issues when he rises to the top in direct sight or after a medium run up direct line. no other symptoms aside fromturning too sharp/closely for food.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote