Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #1 
JenG

Moving My Betta!

Hello! I have been a betta mommy with my betta (Blubbers!) for a year now, and he's been surviving in a tiny little plastic tank with no filter or heater for a year now (I couldn't afford anything better, and I've felt super guilty about it.. But he was a gift). I finally have been able to upgrade him to a 10 gallon tank, filtered, heatered, and pirate themed!!

Now the problem and why I had to find this board. I'm worried about him going into a tank now. I know I want to get other fish to go in with him (a cat fish, other fish he gets along with, etc). The tank has been set up for a day or so now and I'm letting it get up to 76-80 degrees before I put him in, then I want to see how he does. If he's ready for it by Tuesday, I want to buy him some friends (PetCo gets new fish on Tuesdays), then in a couple weeks or so, get a cat fish.

My questions are, is he going to be ok transitioning? Is this a wise time line to go with? What're some other fishy friends he'll get along with?

Thanks in advance!!
JenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 PM   #2 
okiemavis

Hello and welcome to fishforum!

I'm glad to hear you upgraded his tank, I'm sure he will be very happy! There is something very important to know about setting up a new tank though.

A fish tank is a mini ecosystem. You're not the only one cleaning the tank, there is little bacteria in there as well who eat the fish waste. When you set up a new tank, the bacteria needs a chance to build up and grow. When the bacteria colony is established, it will break down your fish waste (ammonia) and turn it into nitrites. Then the nitrates will be broken down into nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to a fish, but nitrates are perfectly safe, unless it is hugely concentrated. The process of growing this bacteria in your tank is commonly referred to as "cycling".

Before the bacteria is established, you will quickly build up high levels of ammonia and nitrites. It's probably good to move your betta into the tank anyway, but you will need to test your water every day and make sure to keep up with water changes to prevent him from getting sick. Here's a link to an article on cycling:
http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-cycling.html
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:31 AM   #3 
JenG

Blubbers seems to be quite happy in his new home. I notice that for right now he's been hanging around the heater the last hour or so. I'm turning it on a bit for tonight to keep him warm (until I can move my room a bit around, he's cursed next to a semi drafty window. This is normal for now though, right? He was going by room temperature before in a room next to the kitchen (third floor apartment too--heat rises fast in here). Is there anything I can do for him right now other than keep the heater on low and cheap the temps?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:24 AM   #4 
Flashygrrl

What kind of heater? It's either preset or you should be able to set it to the temp you want. Those ones that don't have specific temp settings aren't worth beans and should be taken back.

As for turning it on or off, he's telling you that he was too cold where he was and that he likes the heat. Bettas need 78 degrees to be happy so I would suggest leaving it on, it won't even put a dent in your bill and it's not fair to him otherwise.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #5 
JenG

The heater, I'm not sure. The instruction manual seemed to have magically went away. I bought it in a set that included the tank, the filter, and other such things for $60.

The heater has a little turn knob on top. One side says + and the other -. I've been adjusting it depending on the temp, but I think there's a way to regulate its self? The giant aquarium box ways 50 Watt UI Listed Aquarium Heater, dunno if that helps any.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #6 
Flashygrrl

Hmmm, sounds like a Top Fin one, does it have an indicator light?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #7 
JenG

The little orange light near the top of the test tube lookin part? If so, then yes.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:52 AM   #8 
Flashygrrl

Cool then, use your thermometer in the tank to tell you when it's set at 78 degrees and then you shouldn't have to adjust it again. Where did you get this tank set?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:18 AM   #9 
JenG

PetCo, it's made by Tetra I believe.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #10 
Flashygrrl

Ehh, I was close. Top Fin stuff is made by Tetra...yours should work ok.