Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Is it typical to get a bloody fin after starting AQ salt?

I have fish in 2 gallon tank I started AQ salt because he has strongly suspected external wormlike parasite (I will post about this later) I disolved about a teaspoon of AQ salt in a water but didn't add all of it this morning being very conservative. I added a little more (still not all of it) now I see one fin tip is a little bloody. This had ragged fins so this probably related. The fish is a half moon with delicate see through finnage.

I am hoping for a quick answer I could change water before I go to bed if you think I need to. I am on east coast time so it's late. The water is tested today and all paremeters are normal.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Aquarium salt should not cause the blood marks that you have described...... as long as you did not overdose him then it should not cause any problems. Keep in mind that aquarium salt does not evaporate therefore when doing water changes you should only ever add enough salt for the percentage of water that you replace.

For example, if you remove 5 litres of water from an aquarium that holds 10 litres you must only put enough salt for 5 litres back into the tank.

Perhaps if you could post some photos of your betta we might get a better idea what is wrong with him. At this point it sounds like a possible case of fin rot however we need to be sure before medicating.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

I wish I could post a picture but I seem to have misplaced my camera. It's just a tiny dot on the end of his fin not a streak. I put a little aloe water conditioner in the tank which is supposed to help with fin rot and stress coat. I think I will change some of the water just to be safe.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:55 AM   #4 
veggiegirl

I am currently treating one of my boys for fin rot, he also has red dots on the tips of his fins. I have cured many bettas with fin rot in the past but am having no luck with this boy

I have treated many successfully with triple sulfa tablets, if his fin continues to break away I would give it a go.

Goodluck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote