Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #1 
Blue Fish

Filter requirements for a 30 gallon?

Okay, so I've got a 30 gallon tank...and a spare 5-15 gallon filter.

My question is, with a sorority of probably 5-7 females in the 30 gallon, will the smaller filter work?

The filter is well sponged inside and out to provide space for the BB's.

I do have a ridiculous number of air pumps (they are OLD, but still work well), so I can make any number of sponge filters in addition if needed.

My other tanks are 20 gals (1 betta to 10 gals of water and annoyingly large numbers of pond snails...working on getting rid of them....) and I've always used the 15 gal filters in them with no problems...but this is another 10 gals...and a few more fishies.

Just curious, and looking for opinions/more knowledge. :)

Thanks in advance!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I wouldn't use a filter rated smaller than my tank. I'd rather over filter than under filter. What is the gallons per hour (GPH) for the filter?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #3 
waterdog

I understand not wanting to use a 30 gallon filter due to the high flow output it would create. IMO I would get a large sponge filter to supplement the HOB. This way you will have proper filtration without high water flow.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #4 
Stone

I have been trying out this filter http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...JGaWx0ZXJzIjt9 for about aweek now on my 29 gal sorority tank so far so good, it is a bit retarded to set up but once you get it set up it works great the outflow bar is really nice makes it really gentle on the girls, the old tetra filter blew the girls all over the tank, it is really quite as well, and I got it from amazon for 35 bucks free shipping
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

Thanks for the information! I'll look and see if I can find a good price on the Turtle Canister, and I'll definitely see if I can make some of my old bubblers into a sponge filter in the meantime. :) I haven't purchased any fish yet, so I've got some time to get this right. :)

One question, and it essentially is a sponge filter question, why are the different HOB's rated at different tank sizes? It would seem that if You were to add enough sponging to it, that it would be able to accommodate a larger tank size, just as if you were using a sponge filter?

Does it have to do with the airflow, as in, the smaller HOB can only handle so much airflow and doesn't provide enough for the BB's?

:) Thanks again for the help!!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 
aemaki09

Personally, I think that everyone should buy either sponge filters, or adjustable filters rated for nearly double their tank size. This leaves a lot of room for bb keeping parameters in check much better.

On my 28 I run an aquaclear 50 and even on high, the output isn't too much as to disturb my sorority, I actually have a lot of my girls sleeping in the floaters right in front of the current.

It's up to the individual, but bigger is better. Even with males, a large sponge filter doesn't disturb them, yet holds more room for BB.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #7 
Stone

HOB's and canisters rating are usually by the gph for the "mechanical" filtration there are way more BB's that live on the surface of your tank,s glass, ornaments, gravel, and plants than in your filter
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:13 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Quote:
there are way more BB's that live on the surface of your tank,s glass, ornaments, gravel, and plants than in your filter
I have always been told the majority of the BB will be in the filter cartridge and very little will be on the tank wall and decor
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 AM   #9 
Blue Fish

Okay, so we have two different opinions...anybody want to come in and be a tiebreaker here, because I'm really interested in the answer here.

I know I was told before that having gravel in the bottom of your tank greatly increases the BB...but, I know we did an experiment some time back with filtering in a bucket and it worked...which would lean towards the filter being the majority of the BB colonization. Anybody want to clarify? :)
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

The bulk of your BB is in the filter media. BB is on everything in your tank but the highest concentration is in the filter media.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote