Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #11 
waterdog

Here again we have one of those subjects that is endlessly debated among aquarists. In all my years of experience and research there is no clear cut answer, period.
The best answer I can come up with is this.
It's not the amount of BB, but what is the most effective use of it. To clarify, everything in a cycled tank has BB. The difference is that BB on surfaces, i.e. walls, plants, gravel, etc. only effects what water is touching it, so it has limited effects, where as the BB in a filter, i.e. HOB or sponge, has water forced over it increasing the amount of water touching and being effected by it, thus cleaning the water at a higher rate and making more effective use of what's there.
Depending on the type of filter, the pad can actually play a very minor part in the process. Example, canister filters depend on ceramic or plastic media behind the filter pad to grow and maintain the bacteria colony. Marineland filters use a bio-wheel to serve the same function. In the 35 gallon sump of my own 75 gallon tank I use lava rocks behind the filter which due to their porus surface grow a huge bacteria colony. These media maintain such a large colony that when the filter pad is replaced, there is no fluctuation in filtering capability.
Through retelling of this formula people tend to take pieces of it and condense it to, "all the BB is in the filter pad." No, it just has more water being forced over it.

Sorry, didn't mean to get so long winded!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #12 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I have always been told the majority of the BB will be in the filter cartridge and very little will be on the tank wall and decor
The reality is there is far more surface area on the substrate, plants, rocks, and glass walls in the aquarium than on the filter media. Therefore, I tend to agree that more BB live in the aquarium than in your filter.

Waterdog, I don't think it really matters if the water is "forced" or not. With proper circulation, it's all irrelevant. Eventually that ammonia and/or nitrite will make its way to a nearby colony to get converted.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #13 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
Waterdog, I don't think it really matters if the water is "forced" or not. With proper circulation, it's all irrelevant.
Ahhh, what do you think water circulation is if it is not forced water?????????????????????
Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #14 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Ahhh, what do you think water circulation is if it is not forced water?????????????????????
I was talking about general circulation... whether it be a powerhead, filter pushing water on the surface, or an airstone.

I read your comment as you need "forced" water THROUGH an actual filter media with BB on it.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #15 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
I read your comment as you need "forced" water THROUGH an actual filter media with BB on it.
No, I didn't say you NEED forced water, I pointed out what the effect of forced water is versus general flow.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #16 
Stone

Keep in mind a filter does more than just house BB's it does mechanical filtration plus chemical filtration , the activated carbon, which is another debated topic weather it is good or not, the filter the way I see it just adds water circulation, a mechanical filtration with the floss/sponge media the as far as I see it benefits of the carbon removing odors and particles from the water/ along with giving more surface area for BB's to grow, no one can argue the fact that without a filter you lose all of the above, but as we know there is always more ways to skin a cat. All of my tanks are planted with tons of stem plants I could probably once all the plants fill in not have a filter at all but will still have one to fine polish the water and keep it from getting smelly, plus the aeration the filter provides as well, the forgotten part of what filters add the exchange of O2 and CO2 they provide as well.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

I have a mini sponge filter in with my male and it's great. For a sorority with only betta inhabitants, you could have a medium sized sponge filter and it should be fine alone, since betta fish aren't terribly messy, even a group. If you have an extra air pump lying around, sponge filters are really cheap.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #18 
Blue Fish

Thanks so much for all the information, the water being moved through the filter makes sense as well, and I can see how a too-small filter could cause not enough water movement for either the filter or for the surface BB to have the necessary contact.

I have found a HOB filter for a 20 to 30 gallon tank yesterday, so I'll play it safe and go with that. :)

Thanks again though everyone for some great information and a fabulous debate! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote