Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #1 
BatCakes

Question New Betta Help

This past Friday, I was at Walmart with a friend who has two bettas, and as we were looking at the fish (poor, pathetic little guys) I decided to get one. I had one before, but he died a few years ago, so I figured it was time for a new pet.

He's currently housed in a 1.5 gal. tank (A bit on the small side, I know, but it's the biggest thing I can really have in my dorm room), with a few plants for coverage, as well as a small heater.

Problem here, he won't eat. I'd heard they won't eat when they're stressed, but ever since Friday (it's now Tuesday), he hasn't eaten pellets or dried bloodworms. At first he was very very active, but since last night he's kind of listlessly floated right below the surface. He won't even look at the food.

A small sidenote, which isn't the main issue but also a question of mine, his water gets cloudy very quickly. I've only had him for a few days, but I did a 50% water change yesterday and it's already getting a bit cloudy. What's up with that?

Any help anyone could give me would be great!
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #2 
JBonez423

A 1.5 gallon is not too small as long as you keep up with the water changes. Some people might try to convince you otherwise, but most of mine are kept in a little over a gallon and they're happy as can be. As long as they have warm, clean water (A 100% and a 50% water change once a week is recommended. I do use water conditioner, API Stress Coat, just to keep the water balanced), good food and a good amount of plants to provide cover, you will have a happy fish! =]

Him not eating could just be stress from the move. Mine are always a little listless at first. What's the temp of his water? He could also be cold. If you have a chilly dorm, I recommend a heater. The cloudiness could just be from the food or the gravel. Maybe give everything another really good rinse? You should try and suck uneaten food out with a turkey baster, that might help. Someone else here might be able to give you a better clue as to what's going on.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by JBonez423; 03-26-2013 at 08:52 AM.
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #3 
shellieca

Welcome. Do you have an in tank thermometer to make sure the heater is doing its job? If not you should get one to check the temp. Does the tank have a filter? Are you using a water conditioner? Most recommend using Prime as it removes chlorine, chloramines & detoxes ammonia, etc. As for the water getting cloudy, not unusual for a new tank. When you did the 50% water change did you vac out gunk from the bottom of the tank? What kind of pellet are you feeding him? Sometimes its a matter changing to a different brand such as Omega One or New Life Spectrum. It is also entirely possible you purchased an unhealthy Betta & he may have something more serious going on. Can you post a pic of him?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #4 
xjenuhfur

Following because my roomie has the same cloudiness problem and we have no idea what it is. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #5 
JBonez423

I wonder if the cloudiness could have anything to do with the substrate. I have sand in mine and didn't rinse it really well when I first put it in, and the tank was oddly cloudy for a couple cleanings afterward.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #6 
BatCakes

Here are the two pictures. I just got back from class and noticed he even has something on his fins now. I think I may have bought a sick fish... The heater seems to be doing its job. He won't eat a thing. Now he barely even moves... And the food you see in the bottom was from me giving him food this morning, I can count the pellets and I know he hasn't eaten a thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by BatCakes; 03-26-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #7 
BatCakes

To answer the other question, I have some TetraBetta pellets and some dried bloodworms, and I bought BettaSafe for the water since I use the tap water from my dorm hall.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #8 
JBonez423

Yikes.. I might re-post in the diseases section, or PM a mod and ask them to move this thread. Someone will definitely be able to help you there!! Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I'm still pretty new at all this.. best of luck.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #9 
Otterfun

What are those round green things on the substrate?
Does your betta have the grey tone as natural color? I see a grayish pale color in your pic.
Try moving the tank away from direct sunlight for sure.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #10 
BatCakes

No, he was a much much brighter color to begin with. The green things are just some small glow in the dark rocks I bought in the fish department, they've been thoroughly washed. I'm on the north side of the building, so there is no direct sunlight at any time really. He was in a darker area before but wouldn't swim around, I moved him here and he loved it. Until he started getting sick like this. He's going downhill pretty fast :C

Tags
betta help, new fish, new owner, not eating