Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #1 
masterdan407

Male Neglecting Eggs

My pair is embracing and they have eggs, but the female is picking up the eggs and the male seems like he couldn't care less. Do you think that I should leave the female to take care of the eggs? or do you think the father will be fine to take care of them after hes done being busy with breeding?
masterdan407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #2 
caissacrowntails

maybe he's not ready for a long term commitment yet? LOL

now..on the serious side..he probably will..after the "spawning ritual" ended. but if he really doesn't care for them, and the female does..I think some breeders tried leaving the female to "look after" the eggs before, and worked quite well.
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #3 
Option

Last year, I tried leaving a female in with the nest because she seemed more commited to it. But after leaving her in for a few hours she became disinterested as well and by that point it was too risky for me to re-introduce the male back into the tank.

So I would leave both in their until the male begins to chase or beat-up the female.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Most of my fathers are pretty lax on picking up the eggs during the intial spawn, they tend to hang out under the nest and let the female do all the work.

However, they are very good fathers when it comes to tending the nest and actually looking after the fry.

So I wouldn't discount him completely.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #5 
Myates

Females will help pick up the eggs, but they have no instinct in caring for them after spawning and usually will eat the eggs. Once done spawning, usually the male will force the female away from the nest and protect it. So for her safety she should be removed when finished.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I personally have never seen a female care for fry, though some may not eat fry if not removed. Yes they will pick up eggs and care for them during the first day. But if you remove the male, she will eventually eat them. So if you want to try to leave female in, I'd suggest not removing the male. Consequently the male will most probably chase her away.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:39 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

One of my females cares for fry. She abducts eggs from the male's nest, makes her own nest somewhere else and guards the fry in the same manner that a male would. She also will steal newborn fry and carry them in her mouth before spitting them up into her nest.

The male hates it and he usually goes over, beats her up and steals the eggs back.

It's the only female I have ever seen do that.

However, with splendens you can't leave the female/male in together anyway and I think that a lone female isn't going to tend to the nest by herself.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #8 
Jayloo

Not that artificial hatching is a great idea but IMO it would probably work out better than female caring for eggs/fry...
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #9 
Myates

LBF - is that a wild betta female doing that, or a splenden?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

She's a wild. But none of my other wild females have ever done anything like that so I think she is just an oddity.

Wish there was some way of breeding stronger maternal instincts into bettas, as that would make life easier if you had a crappy father. I've never had much luck with hatching eggs that the dad chose to ignore or that I removed to prevent him from eating. It would be great if you could just leave the female in there to tend to the nest if the father was neglectful.