Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #1 
nikkifro8994

New Sorority!!! how to heal fins?

I've rescued 3 injured male bettas in the past, but I've always wanted a tank for girls. I finally set up my first betta sorority about a week ago! I have 4 crowntails and 1 regular betta in a 10 gallon with a 20 gallon filter. I only saw fighting for a couple hours on the first day to decide who the alpha is. Since then, they all seem to get along just fine.
However, 2 of the CTs have tears in their tails. For my boys, I've always upped the temp to 83*F and made sure the water was clean with 25% water changes every few days. Their fins healed in a week or 2.
I did the same thing in the girls' tank, but it doesn't seem to be working. And one of them looks a little worse. I don't see any signs of fin rot, and my water stats are good (0 ammonia and nitrite, 10 nitrate, ph of 7).
I have MelaFix and PimaFix, but I don't want to use these if I don't have to. I also have aquarium salt (not sea salt). Should I add one of these to help their fins heal? With the salt I would do a 25% water change and dissolve the salt in the new water. Then add it in a little at a time so I don't shock them.

Some pics of the girls all taken shortly after I added them to the tank. I'll add pics of the injured girls tonight.
#1 She is the first one I saw, making me go home and shuffle my tanks so I could have her. She is a bright blue CT.
Betta sorority by nikkifro8994, on Flickr

#2 She a gray CT with steel blue streaks in her fins.

#3 She is a black CT with red fins and black tips.

#4 She is a normal red betta. I don't know what type.

#5 She is a white/red CT with red fins. I think she has some dragon scale in her. She's also a piggie. I only gave her a few pellets.

Tank

Last edited by nikkifro8994; 03-26-2013 at 12:16 PM.
nikkifro8994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I've never done anything special for my 10 girls in a 46g when they've had nipped or torn fins & they've always healed up with no problems. Sometimes it takes a little longer. The tank temp stays 78-80F & I just do my regular weekly 50%+ water change. Unless you're seeing fin rot or infection or the nips/tears getting worse, I wouldn't remove anyone.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 
Stone

They will continue to nip at each other for a good while, I have 14 in my sorority and it is pretty new about 2 weeks now, but they will still work out a pecking order and who's area of the tank is who's and who can go there and who can't it's like a pack of high school girls, I just keep their water nice and clean
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #4 
Crowntails

Beautiful fish!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #5 
bannlow2471

They are beautiful fish and the tank is gorgeous also! I hope everyone heals up quickly!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Your "normal" girl is a VT. :)

+1 to everybody else. Some of my girls have some chunky tears in their fins from fighting (my sorority is almost 2 weeks old) and I'm just keeping up with normal water changes and adding StressCoat. It will take longer to heal than if I subjected them to a daily water change with salt regime, but it will still happen. :)

Gorgeous girls! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #7 
nikkifro8994

Thanks! I'll just keep up with 25% water changes every few days. They haven't picked at each other that I've seen since that first day. I don't want to stress them out with medicine or salt if I don't have to. Hopefully they heal soon.
nikkifro8994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #8 
Jayloo

I use AQ salt with my girls after spawning if they are beat up pretty badly. But I do daily water changes with them x 1 week after spawning to reduce risk of disease or infection. :) but for a sorority I'd say just keep up the good work. Because you will medicate them. They will heal up. && then some of them will get in a tiff and you will be back in the same situation. Let it be. :)
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

You definitely don't want to use salt if you have shrimp (as I just noticed in your sig), as shrimp don't tolerate it well.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, female, injured, sorority