Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #1 
Tress

The Ones That Got Away

We've all had that one betta puppy dog eye us from its pet store cup, but you weren't ready/wanting to take home another that day, so with a heavy heart you walk away. Next time you go it's gone, and you always wonder "what if?". Lets share some stories (and pictures if you have them) of the ones that you passed up but never let you forget about them.

Just before I got Lux, there was a small steel blue & white marble CT (either plakat or female because the fins were short). I wasn't ready for another betta and all I had was my 1g QT tank. But I told myself that the next time I came in, if it was there I would get it. It was gone.

The day that I got Zip was new shipment day (or the day after). Before I saw her I was admiring some of the lovely DTs that just came in. I'm not a big fan of DTs (or so I keep telling myself...) and the ones we get in are short bodied so I know they are at risk for more issues. Well there was two I liked. One was almost pure white, but its body was extremely short and its fins were showing some damage. The other was a very nice white & blue marble. He was in good shape and I was almost almost going to do it till I looked up one more cup and saw the two young female bettas. I knew neither would live long in the care my store gives and one was already looking ill. So I chose her over him. 2 days later I took a pic of him, he was already starting to look not so great. But better than other female that was dead.

A few days ago I went to get more water conditioner, and guess what.. new shipment of bettas... These DTs are killing me... this time there was a cambodian butterfly and an absolutely adorable white/blue/black marble. The latter is driving me insane. He was so cute, he was all white except for a black head and a little bit of blue in his dorsal. He was also very small and ahh Dx I'm gonna die if I go there and he's still there.. though I have the room I don't have the money for him. But he's torturing me in my mind with that cute face.

Anyways, if you have a story of a pretty betta you pass up and regretted, post here :)
Attached Images

Tress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #2 
Remi

I'm actually going back tomorrow to try to avoid this, haha. I didn't get a photo though. I really wish I had.
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #3 
Reccka

I saw this guy about 2 months ago, and I do still think of him from time to time. I hope he(and his brothers) went to a good home.
Reccka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #4 
Tress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi View Post
I'm actually going back tomorrow to try to avoid this, haha. I didn't get a photo though. I really wish I had.
Haha someone gets a lucky break :) I hope it will still be there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reccka View Post
I saw this guy about 2 months ago, and I do still think of him from time to time. I hope he(and his brothers) went to a good home.
Nice, I've seen a few like that here, but most weren't in good shape when I looked so I wasn't interested in them.

That's the hardest thing about the ones we leave behind, you hold hope that maybe, just maybe, they got a good caring home with someone who knows enough about bettas or finds a site like this one :)
Old 12-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #5 
Aqua Aurora

I was thinking of making a thread like this a few days ago!
In order by encounter dates

When I got my 2 deltas (Magnus and Alastor) i'd seen them at teh store s few days ealier and when i went back to buy them I spotted another ad spent a good 10-20 minutes debating between this boy and Magnus (the other was a black and green (really green no blue green) metallic dragon scale double tail.. his fins were so huge though I thought he'd be more likely to shred his fins to get rid of the weight (ironically Magnus is now a fin nipper =.=) When I went back to look for the black and green boy a week later (was thinking of being bad and getting another tank for him) he was gone :c
the photo doesn't do him justice.. i just hope he went to a competent caring home

Another male I almost bought, simply because he was extremal y active, flaring at my finger, and had a bubble nest (never seen one at the store make a nest)! His colors were a green-blue with black head and beard, the gradient from blue to green in his fins was stunning. Talked with my husband and was flip-flopp about it but went back to see if he was there a day or to later 'If he's there I'm getting him.".. he wasn't :c

I found this boy on aqubid and was soOOooOOOoo close to buying him but told myself I could not as I'd not bought a new tank (my 6g bowfront) yet and couldn't put him in the quarantine tank as it was in use. I'd hoped the seller would re-list him but they never did. I tried contacting them but they never responded :c I would have named him Monochrome, Quill, or something themed on the cute white 'claw' of his pelvic fins...

And most recently I was almost bad and bought a female (or possibly young male too bit to be put in the 'baby betta' label). Nothing special for color, Cambodian I think is the term(?) crowntail. But she was incredibly inquisitive and active compared to the others, seems like an adorable personality. Alas I have no spare tanks so I cannot take her.. I might get lucky and get one for the holidays but she will likely be bought or dead by then :c Sorry little one!
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #6 
fleetfish

I saw a beautiful black HM the other day. No irridescence, just solid black. I could have gotten him, but I had to leave him ... he was one of my dream boys.
fleetfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #7 
Tress

Haha I read minds >:3 So many people were talking about bettas they passed on but regretted that I was like "Why is there not a thread for this?"

You passed up some real lovelies!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #8 
Aqua Aurora

Whoops sorry for possible page stretching, I though i resized all those O.o
Yeh I'm kicking myself for the ones I missed, especially that dumbo boy! Only thing that eases the pain of that one is telling myself he probably would nip his white pectorals and shred them...
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #9 
givemethatfish

UGH! I saw the prettiest whitey-bluey-pinkey-marbley betta just now at Meijer. I have NO more room for more bettas, but Meijer takes such horrendous care of their fish. They must have just gotten a shipment in because over half the bettas were still alive (shocker). But poor little dude is doomed there. I wonder if I the old ball & chain would notice if I set up another tank . . .
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #10 
Charc14

O my Gosh! I saw the most gorgeous Green and white Marble Delta a couple weeks ago. And he was so active, and healthy! and he was totally puppy eyeing me with such bright blue eyes! it was sooooooooooo hard not to jut grab him and take him home :( I regret that decision so much :(

but, who knows? maybe he got a even better home then I could provide! :)
Charc14 is offline   Reply With Quote