Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #1 
Starburst44

Insensitive Comments?

How about we share some insensitive things people have said to us about betta keeping.

Once, when I went on a vacation, I left my betta with an acquaintance. I returned three weeks later, the tank was overrun with algae and my betta was barely alive. She had obviously not cleaned the tank at all.

Months later, I let her know that the betta had passed away. She turned to me, laughed, and said "Looks like I took better care of him than you did!"
Starburst44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

When I was transporting my fish home from college my favorite baby got cold and passed, someone had the gall to tell me that, while their fish died of being in dirty 50degree water "naturally", I killed my fish. I got more miffed than I'd like to admit
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #3 
Ilovebettasbk11
Banned

People tell me my fish will die cause i didnt want a filter but thats ok carma did hit that person
Ilovebettasbk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:00 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, velvet is the bane of my fish room and I have lost a lot of my wild bettas to it over the years.

My dad likes to pretend I kill/murder my fish and sometimes even asks if any of them have died lately.

But my dad is just insensitive in general. He thinks it's being 'honest' but mostly it's just him being rude.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:26 PM   #5 
BettaStarter24

My entire family states that they're just $2 fish and are practically disposable. My mom's even told me she's dumping them all down the drain if I don't get good enough grades.

I'm gonna tell her next time she does that I'm gonna burn all of her yarn if she even dares try to dump my boys down the drain.
BettaStarter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:37 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Unfortunately, velvet is the bane of my fish room and I have lost a lot of my wild bettas to it over the years.

My dad likes to pretend I kill/murder my fish and sometimes even asks if any of them have died lately.

But my dad is just insensitive in general. He thinks it's being 'honest' but mostly it's just him being rude.
I've dealt with someone like that. Did you know that a pinch of salt is supposed to prevent velvet? I have not had it happen to me but I gather it's a preventable disease. There is thread that talks about this. I will see if I can find it for you and post.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:45 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

That is horrible she should help you with homework or get you a tutor if you are having trouble. I would rig up a little padlock on my tank under those circumstances.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I've dealt with someone like that. Did you know that a pinch of salt is supposed to prevent velvet? I have not had it happen to me but I gather it's a preventable disease. There is thread that talks about this. I will see if I can find it for you and post.
My wilds are different from splendens. They seem to be much more susceptible to velvet. They are fish that come from peat swamps with very low dissolved mineral content and highly acidic water, and I've found they do not seem to like having salt added to their water very much.

The issue is velvet is incredibly hard to spot on my wilds and so all it takes is I put my hands in a tank of what I think are healthy fish and then another tank and I can spread it very quickly through my tanks.

I did not mean to derail the thread but there's not much else I can do for my fish other than treat velvet when it arises.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
My wilds are different from splendens. They seem to be much more susceptible to velvet. They are fish that come from peat swamps with very low dissolved mineral content and highly acidic water, and I've found they do not seem to like having salt added to their water very much.

The issue is velvet is incredibly hard to spot on my wilds and so all it takes is I put my hands in a tank of what I think are healthy fish and then another tank and I can spread it very quickly through my tanks.

I did not mean to derail the thread but there's not much else I can do for my fish other than treat velvet when it arises.
I know you are experienced in keeping fish. The thread was interesting though. I have not been a big advocate of salt in the past. I will PM you a few thoughts. I had a different sort of trouble that seemed to improve with some changes. So back the regular thread.....
Old 03-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #10 
ZZD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaStarter24 View Post
My entire family states that they're just $2 fish and are practically disposable. My mom's even told me she's dumping them all down the drain if I don't get good enough grades.

I'm gonna tell her next time she does that I'm gonna burn all of her yarn if she even dares try to dump my boys down the drain.
My sister keeps hairless rats that we have pent thousands of dollars on over the years in vet expenses for them (many batches of rats, not the same group) and we get that a lot.

I get a lot of comments about my fish as well. My sisters are understanding because its like the rats and we all worry over the living things we've chosen to keep in our house under our care. I've gotten teased about being worked up about my old man betta (4 years+ old at the time) who got popeye from an injury and when one of my Panda Garras damaged his gill covers. I had some people roll their eyes and laugh at me when I panicked about my Vampire shrimp being missing for a week (he found a new place to hide, he's fine). I also have gotten a lot of teasing for getting bigger tanks and other 'extras' for my fish to make them happier.

I think though the worst comments are people who yell at me about having my betta in a 30 gallon with other fish and shrimp. Fish and shrimp he had lived with for years in a 10 gallon with no issue. I go to the store to pick up things and people ask me about my tank and I mention my betta and they flip out and tell me what a bad owner I am. He is nearing 6 years old. I think I'm doing better than they are when they have the nerve to tell me a betta only lives about 2 years. I might not know everything about fish and tanks, but I've only had 2 injuries and zero illness (other than the newer betta's cyst but he's on his own and I'm working on that) in my many years of keeping betta.
ZZD is offline   Reply With Quote