Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #1 
FishyOfTheOpera

Post Science fair project?

My school science fair lasts about 3 months for experimentation, and I would like to do something with betta fish, after I check out the rules with animals and all, and if it's not against the rules. I'm not going to do something cruel (like see what happens if I put two males together, put food coloring in the water, etc.) but more along the lines of sorority behavior or breeding? I have a ten gallon that I'm saving for science fair, but what experiments would you recommend? I don't want to torture a betta by doing the whole bowl vs. tank thing, and I'd like to breed or do a sorority (partially as an excuse to get more bettas...). I've been wanting to breed for awhile and it might as well be for school! Same with sororities. And the research segment would be a breeze because I already spend half my time reading about bettas. I want to do something I'd enjoy.
I'm open to any suggestions!
FishyOfTheOpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #2 
Reccka

I think it'd perhaps be more interesting, and easier on your bettas, to maybe do an experiment around their intelligence. There are quite a few things you can train a betta to do. Maybe make it into something like that. And I think that serves a good purpose. It can help teach others that fish aren't the "3 second memory" pet and that they remember quite well.

That way, you have almost no risk of animals being hurt in your project like you do in breeding and sororities. I would assume that if one of your bettas were to be injured from breeding or from a sorority fight, that you may possibly get disqualified based on their rules around animals.
Reccka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:50 PM   #3 
FishyOfTheOpera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reccka View Post
I think it'd perhaps be more interesting, and easier on your bettas, to maybe do an experiment around their intelligence. There are quite a few things you can train a betta to do. Maybe make it into something like that. And I think that serves a good purpose. It can help teach others that fish aren't the "3 second memory" pet and that they remember quite well.

That way, you have almost no risk of animals being hurt in your project like you do in breeding and sororities. I would assume that if one of your bettas were to be injured from breeding or from a sorority fight, that you may possibly get disqualified based on their rules around animals.
That sounds cool :) how about a little maze or something? I'm not sure on the rules about animals, but I think I may do breeding, depending on the rules. I don't think the allow it without a veternarian's signature, but I'll check up on that.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 PM   #4 
Reccka

I think a craft mesh maze or something similar could be really cool. I can't say I've seen anyone attempt to run a fish through a maze. I think that could be very impressive as a science project.

Definitely keep reading up on breeding in the breeding section and familiarize yourself with the risks and all the costs. It's not for the faint of heart. I also personally wouldn't recommend breeding a betta you think of as your pet as they can get very hurt in the process. But if you breed responsibly and truly feel prepared for it, then that could be interesting as well depending on what you decide to breed for.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #5 
FishyOfTheOpera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reccka View Post
I think a craft mesh maze or something similar could be really cool. I can't say I've seen anyone attempt to run a fish through a maze. I think that could be very impressive as a science project.

Definitely keep reading up on breeding in the breeding section and familiarize yourself with the risks and all the costs. It's not for the faint of heart. I also personally wouldn't recommend breeding a betta you think of as your pet as they can get very hurt in the process. But if you breed responsibly and truly feel prepared for it, then that could be interesting as well depending on what you decide to breed for.
Oh yes, I've read up on it ;) I would breed halfmoons and not give them names till they are sure to survive (to avoid the devastion of getting too attached) I refuse to cull fry, though, just because of indesirable traits. If I'm bringing life to this world I'm not going to pick and choose who stays and who goes
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM   #6 
Reccka

It's harder to home ones with undesirable traits in person, but plenty of people will adopt them here and from what I hear, some groups on Facebook that I'm not aware of. That's always a comfort. I'd still say be prepared to cull extreme deformities if they happen though. I'm personally not a breeder because I'm not hardcore enough for that, so I don't know how often that situation comes up anyway. I'm sure the people in the breeding forum can touch on that one much more. They all seem very helpful. :) Good luck with your project. I hope it turns out well.
Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM   #7 
FinnDublynn

You are planning on housing and caring for the Betta(s) after the project, too, yes?

The maze is a great idea, and general intelligence testing/training seems like a great way to go on the project!!

Make sure to include a big section about the Nitrogen Cycle because that's a HUGE part of Betta keeping, and you can devote a large section to talking about that too!! You could even, technically, use this as your project... Look at the ways different plants affect the Cycle, or how different lengths of lights affect the plants that affect the cycle or how the density of the sponge affects the establishment of the Beneficial Bacteria... denser foam would have more surface area for the bacteria to grow but could reduce the amount of flow thru it, etc etc etc. There's a lot you could do there...

You could also, perhaps, do a memory test like Reckka suggested. Maybe hold up a dark card and a light card to the tank, and ONLY when they swim RIGHT to the dark one do they get a pellet. Repeat every 4 hours? See how long it takes them to always go to the dark one?
FinnDublynn is online now   Reply With Quote