Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #1 
SunnySideIvy

Fish that Don't use Hides?

I bought Wanda one of those ridiculous pink castles for her tank because...
1. Its pink and sparkly and fabulous
2. Her name is Wanda she definitely needs a pink castle in her tank

However, since I've put it in she has not gone in it once! She swims by it and her fins blow in and she just scoots on by! To be honest I don't think I've seen her stop swimming once. Crowley camps out in his hide all the time and watches with his head poking out, but Wanda won't touch hers! Does anyone else have a betta who doesn't use hides?
SunnySideIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #2 
Lilypad

Napoleon does not use any hides at all, I ended up taking them out. He also never stops to "rest" at all either. He's always swimming or picking through the moss to try to find snail eggs, etc. I'm assuming he rests at night when I leave the office :)
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:31 AM   #3 
SunnySideIvy

Phew! Wanda isn't the only one! Shes in my room on my dresser so I watch her pretty much all day unless I'm in class, and she never stops! I remember when I was acclimating her to her tank when I first bought her she was viciously swimming against the edge of the cup trying to get in the tank so I suppose she has always been rowdy like this!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #4 
Lilypad

Yes, my Napoleon has always been a feisty boy also! I brought him home at about 9 weeks old with 2 ghost shrimp, that afternoon I already had no more ghost shrimp, they were bigger than him but he still killed them! He's on my desk at work now, so I watch him for 8.5 hours a day :)
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #5 
SunnySideIvy

Wow! That is one feisty fish! It amuses me how active she is but I'm always wondering how she doesn't wear herself out!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:52 AM   #6 
AngesRadieux

I bought a little cave for Squirtle to hide in. It's been weeks and I haven't seen him in it once. He's been around it and looked at it, but I don't think he stops and stays still long enough to be interested in a hiding spot. xD He's really a very social little fish--whenever he sees me, he comes right over to the side of the tank.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #7 
Laki

None of my bettas ever appreciated hideouts.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #8 
AquaPlayz

For some reason I thought you where talking about a goldfish and was thinking you had one in a desktop tank,guess cause his name is Wanda and the type of goldfish oranda I don't:S
When I had a betta he loved the terra cotta pots I cut in half and made a pyramid shape out of.
AquaPlayz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:26 PM   #9 
wildmountainthyme

None of my bettas use the stationary cave type things. They are just decoration in my tanks now.

I have the floating betta logs, they do show some interest in that but most ignore it except for Illidan, he loves it.
wildmountainthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #10 
SunnySideIvy

I love that name, Illidan. :)
I had a floating log for Drax and he adored it, I had to toss it though when he passed.
As I'm watching her she is weaving between the towers on the thing but not going through the hide part lol.