Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM   #1 
SmallFry23

Question My new DT fry

I went on a venture to my local Petco today to purchase some live plants for my existing two betta tanks because noticed the plastic ones were damaging their fins. While there I saw the shelf with baby betta fish on it and had to see for myself. I fell in love with the idea of watching a betta grow up. I really enjoy betta fish for their elegance and watching them in their tanks gives me joy. So to get to the point I bought a baby DT for a whopping 1.99 instead of the $19 price for an adult. I have high hopes for the little tyke. Since I have watched it for hours in its new tank, I noticed the stress stripes have already gone. So I was wondering if anyone here can tell me if my fry is old enough to determine gender and what it is? I have pictures posted on my profile. Also I would like to know about how to care for a fry vs an adult betta. I have done some research but I want to learn as much as possible. Thanks!!
SmallFry23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM   #2 
farmgirl82

There is a petco baby betta thread that has some good info & other people's experiences with their babies. Good luck with him!
farmgirl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #3 
kevinap2

There are three basic things you need to know.

1) Frequent water changes are a must. Fry release a growth stunting hormone which can stunt their own growth if the water is not changed frequently enough.

2) Fry must be warmer than adults. A steady 82 F would be best.

3) If you haven't done so, a good micro pellet would probably be a good idea. I like Omega One's micro pellets but others may also have good suggestions. Feed smaller amounts of food more frequently- maybe a pellet or two 3-4x per day.
kevinap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:39 AM   #4 
SmallFry23

Thanks you guys. I knew some things from research but a lot of sites are not consistent with each other. Especially about feeding.
SmallFry23 is online now   Reply With Quote