Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2015, 04:51 AM   #1 
Brittyboo

Cool Tank Maintenance Reactions

I got this idea from a different forum and thought it was an interesting topic So how do your fishy friends react to water changes and general tank maintenance?
Buddy just sits in the corner watching until I'm done and then demands food haha
Kohl and Frankie both like to get in the way as much as they possibly can, they make water changes especially difficult
My pearl gourami watches closely and I occasionally get nibbled on, while the tiger barbs like to run for their lives. Both my bristlenose and red tail shark just kinda ignore my existence in the tank lol
Brittyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #2 
Polkadot

I am very lucky that all my boys are very easy going with their water changes,they all seem to like it as a kind of weekly game & something different to watch and do.Most of them follow the gravel vac around for a while watching the gravel go up and down.

I am always nervous with the first water change when I get a new betta (especially the Giants as I worry they will try to jump out),but I did my lovely new Giant boy Captain's tank yesterday and he was excellent.It didn't worry him at all.

By far my friskiest/cheekiest boy with water changes is my Giant HMPK Boss (the gorgeous little bum on my avatar),he attacks the gravel going up the siphon and also loves to peck at my hand any chance he gets,especially when I am replacing his IAL.I run my finger across the top of the water and he chases it all around,he seems to like that game very much.He is very cute!
Polkadot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:20 AM   #3 
Brittyboo

He sounds adorable! :)
Brittyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:55 AM   #4 
Polkadot

Thanks! He really is,I love him so much.
Polkadot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #5 
Tealight03

Phil, my vt, just hides in the corner until it's done. Hehates anything being done to his tank. I haven't had to do a water change for Ruby, my new crowntail.
Tealight03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

My cory cats would always scurry. Bettas seem to have different reactions. I've had a lot that would go hang out in another part of the tank, wanting nothing to do with the weird intruder in their tank. I've had others that would go crazy trying to get at the gravel as it moved around in the vacuum.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I only do partial water changes, scrape the algae off the sides of my tanks, and maybe prune plants or add in some new IALs when I do tank maintenance.

All my wilds and their offspring (fry share tanks with their parents) almost always gather around the siphon hose when I am doing water changes. I literally have to flick them away with my finger or hand to avoid sucking them up.

After the water change they usually just swim around their tanks checking things out. There's often a bit of fighting/squabbling that goes on as well.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:03 PM   #8 
violettec

Both of mine either watch in a corner and they'll sometimes hang out near the gravel vacuum. My CT sometimes brushes my hand. I try to be super careful so I don't bump them 'cause they are both very nosy!
violettec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 PM   #9 
EvaJupiterSkies

Sherlock insists on chasing around the siphon, and then getting right under the water I'm pouring in. He always seems genuinely shocked by the flow of water into the tank... you'd think he'd learn eventually.

Esmeralda also chases the siphon, but she just paces the tank when the new water gets put in.

Elije could care less that I'm taking water out or putting new water in. He just swims about like "HI!"
EvaJupiterSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:41 AM   #10 
Veloran

Mishi used to be curious of the gravel vac so I'd watch him like a hawk and when the new water was being poured, he'd be on the side furthest away from that.

Now, he barely notices the siphon, he'll maybe come check it out once then casually go about his business (though I use my finger to scare him away when he gets close to the siphon). When it's time to pour in the new water, that's when it's on. From the time the blue lid I use to break the water's fall into the tank touches the water surface, he's front and center right under it waiting. He'll play under it as I'm pouring the water, letting it blow him around and once the water blows him halfway across the tank and I'm getting another jugful of water, he's back under the lid for the next roller-coaster ride.
Veloran is offline   Reply With Quote