Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

In really bad shape. D:

This is my sister's VT, Autumn. We've had him for a while, but my sister is a little lazy and inconsiderate, and totally not responsible, really. She feeds him, but she doesn't clean his tank. All she does is add water when it's needed. He lives in a 1 gallon unheated bowl, and quite honestly, I'm surprised he has gone this long without dying of ammonia poisoning. When I cleaned his tank, there was SO MUCH left over food on the bottom, it was insane. I told her that when he doesn't eat it, you're supposed to take the food out, but she never does. There were at least 20 pellets on the bottom of the bowl, and the tank smelt HORRIBLE.

I convinced her to let me house him in my room, in my hospital tank. It's heated, but only to 78 because I want him to get used to having a heater and not send him into shock. I'll slowly start upping it to 82, probably. My fish have had absolutely no issues at that temperature, and I think my male actually likes the temperature more at 84 than 82. For now, I'm keeping Autumn at 78, though. I'll wait until water change day and up it a little.

The only medications I have are AQ salt and Stress Coat. I've treated him with both, so hopefully he'll at least improve a little. He's never had either, so he shouldn't have an immunity to either. What I really want to know is what else should I do for him? After the questions and answers, I'll post pictures of him.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqua Culture Betta food, but trying to start him on Omega One Marine Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Hasn't been eating more than one pellet a day, but is fed twice a day, two pellets per meal

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? He was previously in my sister's care and rarely had his water changed, but now his water changes are twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? One 50% and one 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Usually just Aqua Safe conditioner, but since he is ill, I added Stress Coat and AQ salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has really bad fin rot, and his gills look swollen
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's lethargic and doesn't swim around as much, usually just staying in one spot
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few months ago, but we couldn't afford to buy him a heater or a bigger tank. He's currently in one of my hospital tanks and now staying in my room until he gets better and my sister can afford to get him better living conditions
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Stress Coat and AQ salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only fin rot, from what we can see
How old is your fish (approximately)? Got him over a year ago

bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #2 
xShainax

Poor baby. :(
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #3 
Sakura8

So far so good, bettacrazygirl. :) If the fin rot starts to advance any further, it might be wise to try a medication but for now, let's see how he does with just AQ salt and clean water.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #4 
registereduser

The police car is a very appropriate decoration since your sister should be ARRESTED.

How old is she?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
So far so good, bettacrazygirl. :) If the fin rot starts to advance any further, it might be wise to try a medication but for now, let's see how he does with just AQ salt and clean water.
Okay, good. I was hoping I was doing the right thing. His tank was a little chilly so I bumped the temperature up just now. He won't eat, but I'm hoping that's just because he's in a new environment and he's just getting used to it. Poor baby. :( Hopefully I can help him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
The police car is a very appropriate decoration since your sister should be ARRESTED.

How old is she?
She's only 10. In her defense, she does WANT to clean his bowl, but she forgets or she's busy with school work and doesn't get around to it. I think it's also because she's nervous to do it on her own, but I can't always help her as I'm busy too, most times, or I just can't do the stairs to go up to their room because of a foot issue I have. I made an attempt to convince our mother to let my sister get a bigger tank today, but she said no because she doesn't want any more electronic things in their room, and a heater would count as an electronic. :( She doesn't understand that they need heaters, or she just doesn't care. I've tried explaining it to her, but she won't listen. She's seen how happy and healthy my fish are, and she's seen how horrible my sister's fish is, and the only thing that makes a difference is the heater and water changes. I have a heater and do water changes, and my sister doesn't have a heater and doesn't do water changes like she should.

I'm hoping that before I go off to college, my mom will lighten up and let her get a small tank (probably a small KK. It's like, one gallon) with a heater. I have an extra that she can have. I don't like it, but it'll do a good enough job. I used it for a while and my fish were fine with it. My sister's fish will be staying with me until I go off to college.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #6 
rubinthebetta

Sounds like you're doing good. If the fin rot doesn't clear up in about a week or gets worse, try the medication.
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #7 
bettacrazygirl86

Okay. What medicines should I try?

I don't think he'll get any worse... It hasn't progressed in a few months, and it even got a little better, despite the nasty water. He'll hopefully be good with the AQ salt. I'm only going to do it for a week though, then I'll clean it all out and just do water changes. Hopefully he'll get better. :(
Old 03-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Use Maracyn Two if the fin rot progresses. Be sure you get a package that has not expired as it becomes very toxic after expiration. Also, if your pH is very high, like 7.2 or over, you may want to use Triple Sulfa instead as long as you are not allergic to sulfa drugs.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #9 
bettacrazygirl86

I haven't been able to test my water, since the kit is like, $20 :( So I don't know the pH. Would Petsmart have Triple Sulfa? I know they have Maracyn Two, but I don't remember seeing Triple Sulfa.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #10 
bettacrazygirl86

It's only been one night, and I'm already seeing a bit of an improvement. The black part of his fin (the rotting part) is starting to fall off, and he's gotten WAY more active. I got him to eat a pellet, too. I've bumped the temperature up from 78 to 80 since last night, and just now set the heater to 82. He's been wiggling when I get close to his tank, so he's definitely more alert. I'll be doing a partial water change tonight, and I'll just keep doing partials until the end of the week, when I'll do a full cleaning. Scrub down everything and soak it all in hot water, and make sure I get all the salt out. I'm going to keep treating him with Stress Coat once his week of AQ salt is over, so it can hopefully repair his fins.

I've been giving him some light too, with my desk lamp I used to use on my bettas when they were in their KKs. He isn't used to having light much, unless someone is in the room, and my sisters' room isn't very bright. He gets about 8 to 10 hours of light, as do my bettas. I turn their lights on at noon and leave them on until about 8 or 10 pm. I base the times off of how active they're being at the time. If they're swimming around and exploring, I leave it on longer. If they're trying to rest, I turn them off.

I'm happy he's seeming to be more active though. :) He's getting better, slowly but surely.