Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #1 
farmgirl598

Am I missing something?

I can't seem to find Oldfishlady's water change recommendations. I thought it was a sticky! Am I just not seeing it?
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Unfortunately Old fish lady left, and took down all the stickies :(
Callistra may have the WC rec memorized... you could try pming her.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #3 
registereduser

Let this be a lesson to us......if you like a sticky, COPY IT DOWN.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #4 
Tabbie82

This bums me out. That water change sticky was like my bible. Guess I should have printed it out.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Was it deleted, or just unstickied?

If it was unstickied, it still exists.... It's just fallen down the pages, since it hadn't been updated recently.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

I didn't find the stickied one, but I did find this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I base many of my recommendations on experiments I have conducted over the years (non-scientific) as well as experience....so these are just my opinions and not something set in stone so-to-speak...lol.....

My recommendation also are intended to encourage and teach good habits in fish keeping....until you find your way, gain experience yourself-learn and grow in the hobby.....

Fish keeping in general can be a trial and error of sorts too-often the hobbyist needs to find what works best for them, their livestock/systems and what they have on hand- using information they gather from other sources-tweak, modify a bit on their own since fish keeping isn't an exact science...lot of correct ways to keep and care for this species as well as other species of tropical fish....

My way is just one way that has been successful for me-I do try to promote a more natural method and to give scientific facts, proven methods based on anatomy/physiology, common sense and theory that I have learned in my research, experience and experiments.....

My way is not the only way and dealing with closed systems with living creatures- it is difficult to give definite answers for complex issues...no one book will have all the answers and they too are often based on that persons opinion, experience, experiment, theory with a few scientific facts as they see it....

But-by understanding some basic facts, science, anatomy and physiology-and development of good habits and husbandry.....everything should fall into place as you become a successful keeper.....

You can change the water too much-its a balance...too much can often be as bad as too little-*excluding short term treatment- where often water changes are part of the treatment itself.

Most important....don't over think it and have fun...that is what its all about after all...right.....

Based on an experiment for water change needs for a single Betta splendens: I found I could maintain water quality with the following water change schedule

In 1-4gal-unfiltered without live plants-twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100%

In 1-4gal with filter-twice weekly 50%-1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method

In 1-4gal-unfiltered with live active growing stem and floating plants with regular gravel....50% weekly with light vacuum

In half gallon/unfiltered-3 weekly-2-50% and 1-100%

*In 1-4gal-unfiltered, NPT- soil/dirt 1in with half inch sand cap-75% planted with stem plants and 10% floating plants-water change of 50% monthly once matured (this also had added stock of MTS, common snails and RCS)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, the thread itself was deleted. I just searched all threads started by OFL....

But you can still search for her posts. Fortunately, she offered a lot of advice to people, so you can find that advice in individual threads....

(Come back, OFL!)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

that's a good idea. let's search through her threads to find important info.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

Here is OFL's Epsom salt treatment advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and sorry you are having problems.

What I would recommend at this point is a Epsom salt treatment-with tannins and limited water changes.

Good that you have him in a small shallow QT container floating in the heated tank. I would cover this QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ-Sometimes labyrinth organ problems can have the same S/S as swim bladder issues.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-Either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree-Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min...Shake well before use...

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.
He needs to stay in the covered QT in the treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 10-14 days.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water-make 50% water changes every other day to complete the treatment duration.
If you used a tannin source-the premixed water should look darker each day and this is what you want.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals. Offer food each day and remove if he doesn't eat and keep trying. It can take 3-4 days for the treatment to start working. If you have access to any live mosquito larva-offer them and see if you can stimulate his feeding response.

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #10 
chardzard

i have learn about fish N water like OFL so for the time i can tell you how i do things to keep every 1 happy , oh this is the first time i have seen her(OFL) water change mod mine not to far from her style., i change water base on (1) the tank size (2) the number of fish in the tank (3)lastly the needs of the fish so a fillter tank i would do a 25% water change per week if it has in the right amount of fish (base % on tank size from 25%-100%)for a non fillter tank it is 50% water change , planted tanks need lest water change
chardzard is offline   Reply With Quote