Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #1 
LouiMon

Preparing my driftwood?

I just purchased a piece of driftwood and I'm gonna soak it for a couple days before adding it, but how often should I change the water and does the water need to be conditioned?

Thanks so much... You guys have been so helpful :3
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #2 
CrazyDiamond

I recently added a piece of driftwood to my tank as well. It didn't shed any of the tannins that it supposedly would, however it did shed quite a bit of organic material, little pieces of wood fiber and whatnot that I would not have wanted in my tank and definitely not my filter. But I think conditioning it to water is important. I soaked mine for 3 days and added it to the tank on a water change day so adding conditioner right after introducing it. I did not condition the water it was soaking in, I think that would have been a little pointless lol It's still doing great though and my fish loves swimming under it, it's his "cave" lol I have yet to grow a plant on it though, hopefully I can get around to that soonish.
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #3 
kyle89

Boiling is also another way. Some people I know boil it for 8 hours an than soak it a few days changing the water daily

Last edited by kyle89; 03-26-2013 at 07:21 PM.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #4 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

I recently added Driftwood to a couple of my tanks.
I soaked the Driftwood for week in a rubermaid container, doing daily water changes. Since I got tired of waiting for it, to stop leaching tannins, i took the risk of adding it to the tank.
Long story short, fish are loving it and the tannins haven't harm my fish in any way, only thing is that the water gets kind of brownish looking but since i do weekly water changes, it doesn't bother me.
Just make sure the Driftwood is really clean before adding it to the tank and at least let it soak for a week.
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #5 
LouiMon

How will I know when it's done soaking?

It sunk immediately. So am I just waiting for it to stop giving off so much colour?
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #6 
CrazyDiamond

You want to wait until the water you pour out daily is clear :) some people don't mind tannins and some say bettas actually like tannins in their water but I soaked it because I didn't want the debris to get into my filter.
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote