Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #1 
Myates

UGH silly fish!

Ugh!

So conditioned 2 pairs of big eared..

One pair just wasn't working.. the male for some reason just wasn't interested in the female. So separated them after a day and a half of being together.

The second pair wasn't working either.. the male (Kabuki) was being overly aggressive.. the female was terrified and was huddled in the corner and torn to shreds, body and fins. So separated them after two days of being together.

Since the first female wasn't bad off, just a few scrapes here and there, but was active and full of eggs.. I placed her with the second male.. as he had a big nest going (something the first male didn't have) and seemed interested in breeding, but the female wasn't able to "handle" him.

I kept them separated for about an hour or so.. then I released her at 3:30pm.. it looked real good.. lots of submissive signs, breeding stripes, flirting, etc.. but at 5pm I noticed that she would go under the nest and release the eggs.

Yup.. she would go under the nest, release the eggs and the male sat there and watched her. Then they would both gobble down the eggs. Ugh.
So I left them in there for a little over an hour, figured to give them time as they are both virgins and maybe they needed a bit of time to "figure it out".
But after a little over an hour and witnessing her release the eggs under the nest and they promptly eat them up about 6 times I just went ahead and pulled her.

Now I have one male who doesn't know where his playmate is.
Another male who is bloated with eggs and working on a nest while looking for the female.
A female who is pretty torn up and scared.
Another female whose belly is bloated with eaten eggs looking at me wondering why she had to leave her snacking buddy.

Silly girl.. and silly boy.. unsure who was at fault here, as both are virgins. I just hope that they figure it out at some point lol..

Going to store the first big eared boy until he matures some more (the second male was just like the first male a few months back- too passive, unsure what to do), and let the second girl heal from being with the bully male.. let them both mature for a few months then try again.

So tomorrow will start reconditioning the egg eating pair, give them another try in a week or so.. once she becomes eggy once more.
Also going to start conditioning my AOC cambo pair - start them up to get a couple generations going and show them next spring. The female of this spawn is the mother of my 550+ fry spawn, the father is a virgin.. hopefully he will know what to do unlike Kabuki..

Supposed to wrap her Kabuki.. she isn't a gumball machine!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #2 
Alcemistnv

aww that doesn't sound like fun! D:

Poor virgin fish, not knowing how it all works lol

I do hope that it works though. Big ears are kinda epic :)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #3 
Myates

lol me too.. but they got that far in a very short time, so eventually they will get it.. I hope!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #4 
Alcemistnv

they will :)

I mean, I'm sure that the first try is always a dud, but once they get the hang of it, they might just produce TONS of eggs.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #5 
Myates

Noooooooooooooooo don't want a ton of eggs! Not again! lol.. if that is the case, I'm so going to cull HEAVY early on. This last batch ran my food dry.. just bought a ton of GPs to help supplement their food lol
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #6 
Alcemistnv

hahaha xD

That doesn't sound like too much fun lol
At least you'll have lots of options to choose from :)
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I would give them a longer rest period. 1 week interval will not (IME) change their behavior. Maybe they still remember how tasty the eggs were . . . dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Noooooooooooooooo don't want a ton of eggs! Not again! lol.. if that is the case, I'm so going to cull HEAVY early on. This last batch ran my food dry.. just bought a ton of GPs to help supplement their food lol
Hahaha . . . wait till you try breeding giants, 1 spawn of 100 fry is enough to empty your food supply. Imagine how 500 fry would suck your pockets dry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #8 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
I would give them a longer rest period. 1 week interval will not (IME) change their behavior. Maybe they still remember how tasty the eggs were . . . dunno.

Hahaha . . . wait till you try breeding giants, 1 spawn of 100 fry is enough to empty your food supply. Imagine how 500 fry would suck your pockets dry.
LOL, even half-giants were enough to made me said.."okay..u guys just look so and so but eat like pigs? off u go to petshop :P "
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 PM   #9 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I love ee! They look so delicate and beautiful :) good luck I hope every thing works out!
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #10 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post

Okay, thank you for the tip :) I'll focus a bit more on the other pair then.
Was frustrating! I mean.. they looked so promising, everything was done right except they just didn't wrap. I'm hoping they figure it out.. Kabuki is one we are wanting the most, as I want to work with the long finned EEs (and he's become more of a pet as he is the only one who gets a 10g to himself lol).

I love giants, I just want one for a pet but have no where to keep one at this time :( and OMG I thought mine were pigs.. can't imagine giants!
They would cost an arm and a leg to feed once out of the micro food stage Instead of a couple pounds of GP I got, I could imagine a couple barrels full of it lol :P

Thanks BB123 :) I love them too, especially the long finned ones.. why my long finned HM EE is named Kabuki, for how he looks when he swims.. it's not the same with the HMPK EEs though.. not as "delicate" in my opinion.