Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #1 
crookedreality

My poor Darkwing :-/

A couple of weeks ago I noticed tiny tears in Darkwing's fin/tail. I had a plastic plant which may have contributed to the tears (shown in first picture on right), so I removed the plant and replaced it with silk plants. I noticed small additional tears continuing to appear, and I used melafix as a preventative measure. Then, over the last few days the situation's gotten substantially worse (until yesterday, when his fin/tail was ALL KINDS of messed up). I discontinued the Melafix and switched to Maracyn Two. I don't have Maracyn One, can't find any in my city and the soonest it will arrive is tomorrow. Also, I have ordered MAracyn Plus, which should arrive by the end of next week. He's eating fine, although he's having a hard time swimming (who could blame him, his tail is half removed), and I'm seriously concerned about the prognosis. Darkwing is three months old :-/ I really don't want to lose him.

Housing:
5 gallon tank, 78 degrees (mini heater), filter normally in but removed for treatment, no air stone, but I have removed a substantial amount of water in order to create a "splash effect" with the filter, no tank mates.

Food:
He eats Hikari Bio-Gold (2 pellets twice daily)

Maintenance:
I perform a 30-40% water change weekly, I add an appropriate amoutn of stress coat and teaspoon (sometimes less) of aqarium salt.

Water Parameters:
pH 8.0-8.2 (I live in Boston, and water is quite alkaline!), ammonia 0.25-0.50 ppm (I've been attempting small doses of Ammo-Lock), nitrate 5ppm.

I've attached a few pics of Darkwing's tears, and the last pic is a healthy Darkwing, before all the hullabaloo.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, I sincerely appreciate any and all feedback!
Attached Images

crookedreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #2 
rubinthebetta

Hmmm...maybe it's severe fin rot, but it seems a bit awkward to be that...try aquarium salt if you haven't already. BTW, I noticed a bit of color change. Was it just natural, just the lighting, or caused by the sickness?
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #3 
VJM

I will let someone more knowledgeable tackle treatment, but here's my two cents.

1. The pineapple decoration should come out ASAP. Sadly enough, some items sold for fish are toxic to them. That decoration is one of them.

2. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? Any ammonia is toxic, and .5 seems high to me. I read you are trying Ammonia Lock, but you also have to be concerned with fluctuating parameters and the effects of new chemicals. See if your tap water has ammonia first, and go from there.

3. Melafix is dangerous for bettas. One of the ingredients (tea tree oil) can kill them.

4. A five gallon tank needs more water changes probably. Is it cycled? There is a great stickie called "Old Fish Lady's Water Change Recommendations" that you should read. Depends on your water test results, but given stubborn fin damage and higher ammonia levels, I would definitely step up the water changes.

5. Are you treating with salt, or do you add that normally? If you are adding it with every water change, he bith builds up an immunity to it (making treatment mire challenging when he needs it), and (IIRC), can ultimately damage his internal organs.

Whew! That was a lot of picking, I know. He is beautiful, and you obviously are doing so much right. Some one more experienced will be along soon I am sure to address medications. Hopefully I got all of the above info correct.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #4 
crookedreality

Rubinthebetta and VJM, thank you so much for your feedback/

Rubinthebetta: He definitely has had a bit of a color change...Darkwing isn't as dark as he used to be, but it could be the lighting. However, his side fins ARE a lot whiter.

VJM: 1) Thank you for the pineapple advice. The inside of the windows were a bit jagged, so I did sand them down myself to minimize tearing. However, if there are certain chemicals which are toxic to Darkwing, it will be removed.
2) I have not tested the tap water for ammonia (before it goes into the tank). However, with or without ammolock I seem to get a non-zero value (as I understand it, you'll get non-zero values even when you add Ammo-lock). I will definitely check the tap water.
3) I promptly stopped using Melafix after I noticed it wasn't working. Thank you for the suggestion!
4) I can change water more regularly...what % change, and how regularly, would you suggest?
5) I usually add a teaspoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons (which doesn't turn out to be much when I'm making my water changes), I made the decision to add salt after reading about its benefits in other forums/pages. I can stop doing that if you/others in the forum think it's not so beneficial! (I am a self-proclaimed amateur who is very open to suggestions)

Again, thank you so much for your advice, it's so nice to get such prompt feedback! Hopefully I will receive the Maracyn 1 in time, and maybe that will help.

Al
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #5 
crookedreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
I will let someone more knowledgeable tackle treatment, but here's my two cents.

1. The pineapple decoration should come out ASAP. Sadly enough, some items sold for fish are toxic to them. That decoration is one of them.

2. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? Any ammonia is toxic, and .5 seems high to me. I read you are trying Ammonia Lock, but you also have to be concerned with fluctuating parameters and the effects of new chemicals. See if your tap water has ammonia first, and go from there.

3. Melafix is dangerous for bettas. One of the ingredients (tea tree oil) can kill them.

4. A five gallon tank needs more water changes probably. Is it cycled? There is a great stickie called "Old Fish Lady's Water Change Recommendations" that you should read. Depends on your water test results, but given stubborn fin damage and higher ammonia levels, I would definitely step up the water changes.

5. Are you treating with salt, or do you add that normally? If you are adding it with every water change, he bith builds up an immunity to it (making treatment mire challenging when he needs it), and (IIRC), can ultimately damage his internal organs.

Whew! That was a lot of picking, I know. He is beautiful, and you obviously are doing so much right. Some one more experienced will be along soon I am sure to address medications. Hopefully I got all of the above info correct.
VJM, you're right about the tap water...I just checked, and water from the tap and it's reading .50 ppm. What's up with tap water in Boston!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 AM   #6 
VJM

There is a good thread in the "Bowls and Habitats" section on what to do about ammonia in tapwater. Give it a read, decide how you want to address it, post your proposed solution, and see what people think.

It looks to me like dosing Prime every day, and getting pH lower could help. Be careful about any method that bounces parameters around. Having a higher pH is better than going from high to low over and over.

Also, cycling your tank and having lots of live plants is always a good idea. Best way to start coping with your ammonia issue, in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #7 
crookedreality

UPDATE: The Maracyn 1 came in, so after 4 days of dosing with just Maracyn 2 I've switched Darkwing to a smaller "hospital tank" and started dosing him appropriately with both Maracyn 1 & 2.

Again, thanks for the prompt response VJM! For now, I do have some "pH Down" on the way, and I will try to keep pH as stable as possible (like you, I'm not a fan of using excess chemicals to achieve the desired result). Unfortunately my Tetra Crescent's hood lamp is not strong enough to accommodate plants... any suggestions for a suitable 5 gallon with good lighting?

Also, if Darkwing makes it I'll keep him in his "hospital tank," and consider fishless cycling for a few weeks in the Tetra Crescent....unless a better tank comes around.

Thanks again!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #8 
VJM

I would really pm Sakura to check on meds.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #9 
Luimeril

he's biting his own tail. x: i'd stop the medication, since you're not treating anything, really. tail biting is either treatable(if caused by boredom), or not(if caused by just him being a butt or too heavy finnage).

best way to try to treat it, is redecoration. give him more plants, rearrange them at every water change. is the filter baffled? sometimes they bite because of that.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #10 
crookedreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
he's biting his own tail. x: i'd stop the medication, since you're not treating anything, really. tail biting is either treatable(if caused by boredom), or not(if caused by just him being a butt or too heavy finnage).

best way to try to treat it, is redecoration. give him more plants, rearrange them at every water change. is the filter baffled? sometimes they bite because of that.
Wow, Luimeril, I never even thought of that! What convinced you that it's tail biting?
He's an extremely active fish, even in this state....he has a number of silk plants (when not in his "hospital" tank), but I can try to rearrange them (if he decides to live). What do you mean by a baffled filter?

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.