Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #1 
Toaster11

Question Tank not cycling

So I bought a 10 gallon tank in January and had to go the fish in tank route. Well here it is about 10 weeks later and my ammonia still gets high and my nitrates and nitrites are nowhere to be seen. I am even using Nightout-II to help with the process. I have one betta in my 10 gallon. I do about a 50% water change every other day. So I am wondering what is happening here? Why is this taking so long? What am I doing wrong?
Also, the tank came with a filter. The filter instructions said to change the filter every 3 weeks, My question for the filter is if I should change it and put in a new one, or will that slow down the cycling process?

Please help a newbie out.

Thanks in advance :)
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #2 
mermaid77

Hmmm well I'm no expert, however, based on what I've been learning here, I think a 50% change every other day on that size tank is more than what's normally needed...Could your tap water perhaps already have some ammonia in it? I know mine does, it's quite high actually...in which case you should consider using some Prime water conditioner, if you already haven't :)...and also, do you have live plants? Those help...and then take it from there...
Sorry I can't be of further help but I know the more experienced members will soon step in to help ya out :)

Oh and good question about the filter, I'm curious about the answer to that as well :P
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #3 
Toaster11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid77 View Post
Hmmm well I'm no expert, however, based on what I've been learning here, I think a 50% change every other day on that size tank is more than what's normally needed...Could your tap water perhaps already have some ammonia in it? I know mine does, it's quite high actually...in which case you should consider using some Prime water conditioner, if you already haven't :)...and also, do you have live plants? Those help...and then take it from there...
Sorry I can't be of further help but I know the more experienced members will soon step in to help ya out :)

Oh and good question about the filter, I'm curious about the answer to that as well :P
No live plants. Good point about the water changes though. I will lower the amount I take out. And yes I am using Prime.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

It does take longer with the fish-in method, as you have to ensure that your ammonia doesn't get above 0.25ppm, for the safety of the fish.

Don't change the filter unless it has activated carbon. That should be changed, or replaced with sponge or ceramic noodles, as they do not need to be changed.

I've never heard of this Nightout stuff; what does it claim to do? TetraSafeStart is generally reckoned to be pretty decent at kick-starting the cycle, and of course cycled media from a friend is handy if you can get it. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #5 
kyle89

Dr. Tims one and only and tetra safestart are supposed to be the two of the better bacterias in a bottle. Dr. Tims is the best of those two. Also changing a filter that off ten is not gonna help cycle your tank. Give it a light swoosh in tank water about every month is what I was always told. Are you using a liquid test kit?
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #6 
waterdog

Your changing way too much water too often. In my 10 I change about 3 gallons of water once a week. Also, you only need to change the filter when it becomes saturated to the point water no longer flows through it. I change mine about every two months.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #7 
Fishy Mom

I'd recommend testing the tap water first. If you want to add live plants to help the water quality try some anacharis which you can float & stick in the gravel if you want. I've never had to use special lights or anything for that plant, it really likes ammonia, & it only costs $3 for a bunch here.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #8 
Toaster11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
Dr. Tims one and only and tetra safestart are supposed to be the two of the better bacterias in a bottle. Dr. Tims is the best of those two. Also changing a filter that off ten is not gonna help cycle your tank. Give it a light swoosh in tank water about every month is what I was always told. Are you using a liquid test kit?
I am using a liquid test kit. If I heard correctly, prime makes the ammonia harmless, but it will still show up on my test...

Also, from now on I will change water and my filter less. Thanks for the help everyone. I will be back at some point to update.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #9 
kyle89

Prime converts ammonia to a harmless form for 24-48 hours and nerve showed up on my tests
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster11 View Post
I am using a liquid test kit. If I heard correctly, prime makes the ammonia harmless, but it will still show up on my test...

Also, from now on I will change water and my filter less. Thanks for the help everyone. I will be back at some point to update.
Your test results should, IMO, be the driving factor as to how much & when you do a water change for a fish IN cycling tank. If you have high ammonia, then you need to do the larger water changes as frequently as the ammonia is high. How high is your ammonia, BTW? Also, what is your Ph? If the Ph is low to mid 6's that can stall a cycle. Right now the most important thing is the safety of your Betta, the water changes do not harm your cycle, may slow it a little but its better than a dead fish IMO.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote