Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #1 
BatCakes

Question Feeding Questions

I've just purchased a new betta, so we'll see what happens as time goes on, but when feeding him some TetraBetta brand pellets, my fish would go to eat them and immediately spit them out. I gave him some dried Blood Worms, and he loved them. I only fed him two, since he's brand new and still adjusting, but if he continues to only like the Blood Worms, how often is it okay to feed him these? The label says only a couple of times a week to supplement normal feeding, but is it bad if this is all he eats? And how much should I feed him?

I hope to order some of the New Life Spectrum food at some point this month, but does anyone have suggestions? I don't have easy access to buying new foods in the next couple days, but I would like to hear opinions about the matter.

Thank you in advance for your help!
BatCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 PM   #2 
Lotte

Im not too experienced but I've been told that there is alot of fat in bloodworms and that they should be only given as a treat. Try to tempt him by waiting till hes really hungry. Definitely get NLS asap. They are generally loved by the bettas and are pre-soaked in garlic juice for a better flavor.
Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

The freeze dried bloodworms should only be used as a treat like, once a week. Otherwise, he should eat the normal pellets. NLS is good, from what I've heard. My bettas eat Omega One Marine Pellets. It's actually for saltwater fish, but it has a lot of whole fish in it, so it's okay to feed them. My fish love it, and it has garlic in it too. Your betta may only be adjusting, since you only just got him. The pellets may also be too big for him. Try crushing one up. I usually use my nail to break it in half, then give them one half individually. I still feed them about 3 pellets each feeding, but I break them in half so it's easier to eat. My girl has a really tiny mouth. :)
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #4 
Fishy Mom

My VT boy did the same thing. I gave him flakes instead of the worms after a day or two, which he ate. Then after a couple of weeks I soaked the pellets in garlic juice before feeding them to him & he ate them. After a couple days I stopped the garlic soak & he continued to eat the pellets.

I asked the store what they fed their bettas & they said the freeze dried worms. I figured they had started my boy on a bad habit before I got him.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #5 
BatCakes

I was looking at some of the containers when I bought him, and it looked like they had flakes in them, so maybe he's just being sassy, haha. Just ordered some NLS online so he'll have to get used to pellets I guess. Good to know that I shouldn't feed him many worms though, thank you for letting me know.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

If he is extremely picky and absolutely will not eat pellets, you could always feed him frozen blood worms or brine shrimp (worms are more preferable). These are a much healthier alternative, and will take care of his appetite. You could try soaking the pellets in garlic juice, or crushing a clove of garlic and rubbing the pellets in the crushed garlic. However, freeze dried blood worms are really only a treat, as most of their nutrients have been removed during the freeze drying process (sort of like how freeze dried fruit doesn't hold the same nutritional value as regular fruit).

Sometimes bettas have trouble eating the pellets. I have two males (both pet store) who occasionally have trouble eating the pellets, in which blood worms or brine shrimp are my go to food.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #7 
Jayloo

I feed frozen bloodworms, frozen glassworms, freeze dried krill (crushed) and basically whatever is frozen at the pet store that I think they might like. I just think they enjoy the variety. :) && the only live foods I feed are fry sized... :/
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #8 
BatCakes

I tried giving him half a pellet at a time, and he seems to be tolerating that. He will only eat one half, but it's something, haha. I'll probably buy him some frozen stuff this summer when I can feed him better.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #9 
bniebetta

I have a picky baby too. I fed him the bloodworms for a week or so and then snuck a pellet in one day to fool him, and it worked. Now he will eat almost anything I give him... I feel like this is just like raising kids ;p
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #10 
BatCakes

Is it healthy enough to just feed him bloodworms for a week or two? I've been worried cause I thought since they were more of a treat, it would be unhealthy for him, so I've just been pushing the pellets. Now even if I break them in half he'll get it in his mouth, spit it out, and wait for more food. If it's okay for him to eat bloodworms for awhile then I won't be so worried that he's not eating any pellets.