Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #1 
Lyonfish

Smile Soon to be a betta fish owner, advice needed

Last year my mother and I bought my brother a betta fish because he didn't have a pet, I have a budgie, it ended up being a great pet and the guy is still thriving despite my brother's not so great care of it (he should clean it's tank more often and occasionally leaves left over food in there). I have decided that I would like to have my own betta. I know all the basic stuff, the thing is I have a feeling I might end up picking one of the most pathetic looking thing in the store and I just wanted to know what's the best way to repair fin damage, or fin rot, if I do pick some little sad looking fish.
Lyonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #2 
jadaBlu

You should go read our fish emergency fish disease section. The basic premise you will see will be based on how bad it is. Not so bad frequent water changes, a little worse AQ salt with frequent water changes, really bad then medicines.

I would suggest not going for the most pathetic fish for your first betta. Maybe only medium pathetic. I've picked up some that had dirty water but still were active an looked good and if I didn't get them they'd surely end up worse off in a few days. That's probably where I'd start if you want to "save" one. All of the supplies are expensive give yourself a little room to spend money on the best stuff for your betta. You could even buy a bigger tank like a 10 gallon if you have room to divide later if you want to save another one. You will want hospital tank for nursing the fish. Many people use critter keepers for this.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-26-2013 at 09:10 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #3 
Lyonfish

Thanks for the advice! I have owned other types of fish, just never betta fish, and I know they are quite different from the goldfish I've had in the past. And I probably won't get one that is almost dead, but I looked at some betta today while picking up a dog toy for my pug and one that I really like had a very damaged fin, possibly from fin rot, but other than that it seemed quite active.
Lyonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Jada has given some great advice. :) Warm clean water is the basic betta cure-all for minor issues - keep it 80F with ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 20ish ppm.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, fin rot, new fish, sick