Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #21 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Haha it still drives me nuts when people assert that the giant bettas are crosses between a species of larger mouthbrooding betta, and normal splendens.

How many spawns do you have on the go now Setsuna? Or are you just conditioning your pairs up?
Just conditioning waiting for summer
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #22 
LittleBettaFish

Good luck then. I'm sure you'll have your hands full come summer.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #23 
Skyewillow

if you have any of the wild splendens ready to go by the time we finally decide to move, I may have to procure some from you. I've been trying to hunt them down, and had NO luck!!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #24 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
if you have any of the wild splendens ready to go by the time we finally decide to move, I may have to procure some from you. I've been trying to hunt them down, and had NO luck!!
These are easy to get anytime
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #25 
GhostFeather

I will probably take a few also.
Bill
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #26 
Skyewillow

I haven't managed to find them anywhere before. Where do you tend to find 'em?
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 AM   #27 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I haven't managed to find them anywhere before. Where do you tend to find 'em?
I know people from overseas that keep them and catches them
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #28 
Naladari

You've prob been asked this a thousand times, but have you ever considered crossbreeding a domestic splenden with a wild splenden?
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 AM   #29 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naladari View Post
You've prob been asked this a thousand times, but have you ever considered crossbreeding a domestic splenden with a wild splenden?
No, i dont plan to or ever will theres is nothing to gain nothing from have hybrids at least to me. If i wanted to breed show bettas then i could just buy show bettas to breed but i like to keep pure bloodlines. Sometimes crossing doesnt come out so good anyways and its always a guess on how the frys will turn out and if i keep it pure i'll always know how the frys will turn out and some babys will be much better looking then the parents but will still be pure thays wat i like best
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #30 
Naladari

The reason I'm interested in crossing wilds with domestics is for the bloodline. Specifically to make a stronger fish. I feel domestics have been bread together for so long that defects and immune deficiency is becoming more common. This is all just speculation and guess work but assuming you bread a wild caught, with a say... Domestic show quality hmpk with a good bloodline you could come out with a truly spectacular fish. I could be horribly wrong but I have a hunch, Mycobacterium are normally an opportunistic bacteria, for example m triplex is found in immunocomprized humans. You don't really hear about it otherwise. Mycos seems to be a relatively new thing in the betta world. Stragely enough it seems to target blue betta. What I'm speculating is ether inbreeding has made the species weaker, or the Mycos mutated. Both are very possible but I still have a hunch that it has to do with the bloodline. Which leads me to believe Mycos aren't infecting wilds because their immune system is stronger. Basementbettas is much more informed than me though and most def knows more than I do. So I'd like to know their opinion.

As for you not crossing I totally understand why you don't, and I think your wilds are awesome lol
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote