Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #31 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naladari View Post
The reason I'm interested in crossing wilds with domestics is for the bloodline. Specifically to make a stronger fish. I feel domestics have been bread together for so long that defects and immune deficiency is becoming more common. This is all just speculation and guess work but assuming you bread a wild caught, with a say... Domestic show quality hmpk with a good bloodline you could come out with a truly spectacular fish. I could be horribly wrong but I have a hunch, Mycobacterium are normally an opportunistic bacteria, for example m triplex is found in immunocomprized humans. You don't really hear about it otherwise. Mycos seems to be a relatively new thing in the betta world. Stragely enough it seems to target blue betta. What I'm speculating is ether inbreeding has made the species weaker, or the Mycos mutated. Both are very possible but I still have a hunch that it has to do with the bloodline. Which leads me to believe Mycos aren't infecting wilds because their immune system is stronger. Basementbettas is much more informed than me though and most def knows more than I do. So I'd like to know their opinion.

As for you not crossing I totally understand why you don't, and I think your wilds are awesome lol
You can give it a try. And see what happens :)
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #32 
Hadoken Kitty

Ahhhh they're so cute!!!! So....splended!!! :P I wish you could give a fish a hug without hurting it. D:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #33 
Naladari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
You can give it a try. And see what happens :)
Lol maybe one day. I'm not in any sort of situation where I should be breeding any type of betta. I live in a dorm room haha. However I do plan to look more into mycos in wild fish and maybe I can find a lead there.
I dont have a sample of mycos nor have I had a betta that was ever infected with it. I do know how to do the stains for them.

Anyways, maybe ill try the cross over the summer when I have a larger living space. If/When I do, Ill make sure that I post the results here.

You do breed pure wilds though correct? I'm just curious haha
Naladari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #34 
isochronism

There is natural selection in the wild. Humans have choice of selection... some occurs under the influence of alcohol. Historically some selection by the "blue bloods" were aimed at retaining the family money by inbreeding. Not a good outcome :(
Manmade selection brought us many dog breeds and also "super models"... I was always a dog fan,(!!!!) tho I always much preferred dogs breed for performance over looks, or conformation. Many true lines were lost forever. Be responsible and retain the real!! I'm done :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #35 
isochronism

I should have added some terminology.
Inbreeding, Line-breeding, Outcrossing.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #36 
finnfinnfriend

Cool!

Why does his body look fleshy-colored? Is that just the camera?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #37 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naladari View Post
Lol maybe one day. I'm not in any sort of situation where I should be breeding any type of betta. I live in a dorm room haha. However I do plan to look more into mycos in wild fish and maybe I can find a lead there.
I dont have a sample of mycos nor have I had a betta that was ever infected with it. I do know how to do the stains for them.

Anyways, maybe ill try the cross over the summer when I have a larger living space. If/When I do, Ill make sure that I post the results here.

You do breed pure wilds though correct? I'm just curious haha
Yes, pure wild is my only interest right now
Old 03-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #38 
Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Cool!

Why does his body look fleshy-colored? Is that just the camera?
His body is light red/orange his anal fin has a blue streak with red on the inside and his caudal fin is a spadetail full red and the camera used was Canon 60D DSLR with 18-200mm lens

Last edited by Setsuna; 03-28-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #39 
isochronism

Setsuna, Excellent path!!! I fully agree.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #40 
LittleBettaFish

I think if you are going to use a quality pure splendens to create hybrids, you should also be producing pure splendens as well. Splendens are at risk because of the threat of hybridism in the wild. Therefore, I think it's important that those people who get a pair of these fish should be doing the species a favour and try and preserve the pure strains through breeding.

If you are producing hybrids and selling them, you should state very clearly that the fish is not pure and what the particular crossing was. That way you avoid people purchasing a fish that they think is a wild splendens, and going out and breeding that fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote