Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #1 
Neo

we all need friends

I need help on what type of fish can go in the tank with my betta. I would love a clown fish, but i think its close to impossible unless its a saltwater environment. I just want superman to have a friend, any ideas on some succesfull tank inhabitants?
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #2 
crazy4fish

well what size tank do you have? a lot of it will depend on that. and does the tank have filteration?
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:52 PM   #3 
Neo

I have a 2.5 and yes it has filteration, im gonna get a heater 2morrow. and would like to pick up another fish 2 if possible
Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #4 
Cody

Clownfish will be impossible to keep with a betta, unless of course you have a Marine Betta (you dont). Clowns are for SW. He can have a friend(s), but we need to know the size of the tank, temperature level, water parameters, and filtration.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #5 
okiemavis

With a 2.5 gallon tank, there's not any other fish you could fit in there, which is ok, because bettas don't really like other fish in their space. You could probably get a cool shrimp, or a snail, but some bettas don't like those either, so you should be prepared to get the shrimp/snail a new home if it doesn't work out. Red cherry shrimp are nice and they will keep your tank nice and clean if superman will let it.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #6 
Neo

What about if i upgrade to a 5 gallon or 10 gallon, and where could i buy these shrimp from. I dont really want to move superman into another tank because im waiting on this one to start cycling, but if that is nessecarry i will, and he seems to like his home, lol better than he liked the 1 gallon
:D 8) hes so cool 8)
Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #7 
okiemavis

They sell those shrimp at most LFS. If you upgrade tanks you'll probably be able to fit some more fish in, but it will depend on the temperament of your betta. If you want variety it's probably a good idea to keep your betta in his current tank and setting up a 10 gallon community tank.
okiemavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM   #8 
Neo

i think thats what ill do, ill get a 10 gallon and get somemore fish, maybe try and do a saltwater aquarium, how would i go about doing that?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #9 
JMeenen

Saltwater tanks take a little water chemistry. I f you are new to having fish I would sugest you start with a fresh water. Do some research about what fish get along in a community tank before going out and buying fish. Make sure when you set up your tank you get all your equiptment first ( Heater/Light/filter) set it up and let it run...for about a week before you add any fish. You can get packets of aquarium starter ..it's called ( oddly enough) CYCLE.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #10 
stephenmontero

yea a clown fish and a betta need 2 diff things to thrive
stephenmontero is offline   Reply With Quote