Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #1 
ANHEL123

water conditioners

Hey everyone which water conditioner is good to use besides the Prime ? Can people use API Stress coat as water conditioner?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, Stress Coat is also a very good brand. IMO it doesn't really matter what brand you use because they all do the same thing. Rid the water of the chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals. Unless you use ammonia detoxifiers or stress coat strengtheners that's a different story...
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #3 
kyle89

I use both stress coat plus and prime when I do water changes
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

Thank you:) What are the other brands names? And also for the people who live in Canada what choice they have? I am asking because sometimes i am trying to help yahooanswers people . Also someone wrote that some brands are not good and i don't remember which one.
Thank you
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

As LTB said, the brand name isn't as important as what the conditioner does. The minimum requirements are that ANY water conditioner being considered MUST neutralize or remove:
  1. Chlorine
  2. Chloramines
  3. Heavy metals

Beyond this basic requirement, there are conditioners that do ADDITIONAL things such as:
  • Prime - temporarily neutralizes ammonia. (However this only lasts about 48 hours. So it doesn't eliminate the need for water changes.)
  • API Stress Coat - contains aloe, which is soothing and may help promote healing for issues like fin rot.
  • And many others.....
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

I have another question and i apologize in advanced if i ask the questions that already was answered. I just never ever checked my water before ,since i have all my bettas , whitch is about 7 years. I just never had any problem ever and they live very long time.
So i have another question
How about Nitrate and Nitrite? What if bottle don't say that it removes it? And also for example Prime does not say it removes heavy metals but on the back of the bottle it says removes toxic witch is heavy metals right?
How about if bottle doesn't say heavy metals and doesn't say anything on the back that it removes toxic-then it not good water conditioner?
And another question if the bottle doesn't say it removes ammonia then it not going to help someone who has ammonia in the tap water right?
How about BettaSafe BY Tetra neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals in tap water, and adds a protective slime coating, but it not saying about Nitrates and ammonia? Is it good water conditioner for the person who has ammonia in the tap water?
Thank you again.