Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #1 
MikeJones

2 New Dragonscale Bettas

Early last week I went to PetSmart looking for a new decoration for my females tank & of course I had to check out the Bettas. They had a new batch of what they have labeled as Dragonscale Bettas & there were these 2 beautiful ones purple & aqua green. I resisted temptation because I didn't have the time to set-up a new tank then & only left with the decoration. Well Saturday I went back saying if they were still there I would get them & they were still there! So I got them along with a new 10g tank that I divided thanks to the DIY divider thread on here. I need to get more hiding spaces, but I didn't really like any of the decorations they had left. After I got the tank all set-up & acclimated the bettas over night & the next morning I let them into the tank.

Everything was going great until I looked up about 9:00 last night & the purple one had jumped the divider & they were together fighting. I quickly separated them, lowered the water level & turned off the light to help calm the situation. I had left about 1/2" of the divider above the water, now it is around 1" below. This morning they seamed ok, but I noticed last night that they had torn each others fins up a little.

From what I have read I should just add some AQ Salt to the tank & that will help the fins grow back. Is that right? I've never had this situation before so would like some advice.

Here are the pics of them in their cups being acclimated & then in there new home.

MikeJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #2 
Crowntails

Beautiful fish! Your tank looks awesome.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 
Fishybitty

Beautiful! Sorry one jumped over. Yes, salt would help with heal fins. (so ive read on this forum)
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #4 
Stone

You do not need AQ salt just keep their water warm and clean and they will do just fine, only use AQ salt if you need to, to treat things like finrot and so on
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #5 
MikeJones

Thank you for the responses. I loved their coloring when I saw them.

Right now the tank temp is holding steady at 80. It has an adjustable 50w heater in it. Should I bump up the temp?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #6 
Fishy Mom

You're purple one looks exactly like my purple girl. Same anal fin slope & everything. I'll have to get pics for you.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

How bad is the damage? When you say "minor," I'm thinking it's nothing really serious.

+1 on Stone's advice, if the damage is minor. You don't need to add aquarium salt. Just clean, warm water should be sufficient, unless you start noticing issues like infection or healing problems.

80F is a great temp. I wouldn't change it.

Keep the water clean, with frequent water changes. Healing should occur pretty quickly. If they don't start looking better soon, let us know. They're beautiful fish, and that's a great looking tank!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I had one of my boys jump the divider and he had serious fin damage and all I am doing is keeping his water extremely clean (every day to every second day water changes), nice and warm (approximately 80 degrees), and am using ial (1 leaf/ten gallons). So far he is healing up amazingly well and my other fish are enjoying the it to! Rey nice fish by the way.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #9 
MikeJones

Here is what I think is minor fin damage. The purple one has a split dorsal fin & slight shredding on the bottom of the anal fin. The green one has a small split in the anal fin & some slight shredding along the back of the dorsal fin. Also I noticed that the green one has part of one of his ventral fins missing.

I noticed last night that both of them look like there as a bite or two taken at the body because there are one or two places where the scales look different than the rest of the body.

So far they are both full of energy & flaring at each other still. They both ate there 4 omaga one pellets last night & this morning as well.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #10 
MikeJones

So I was looking this morning while they were eating & it looks like their fins are already growing back. You can hardly see the splits anymore. That is pretty amazing to me that they heal that quickly. So relieved!!