Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #1 
karbear625

Exclamation Betta & Platy Conflict

I did a 90% water change today and deep cleaned the rocks and decorations with the fish (4 platies and a betta) in bowls with old water. I needed to treat my male platy anyway for Ranger biting his tail. I put a drop of stress coat in each little bowl just to help calm them down and heal anything they may have while I have a chance.
When I finished and got the 10 gal ready for them again, I noticed that my platys were all suddenly dropping "dead" with only their gills moving and breathing. I immediately put them in the tank and after a few minutes they were okay again. (I take it was them being too cold) The betta is fine and flaring with his enemy fitter again but he is causing a lot of trouble.
The male platy who he bit the tail of hasn't been being his spunky self and didn't even come up to eat this morning has gotten even worse. He is moving and everything, but his swims are slow and hard for him when he can get the energy to swim.

My problem is this platy is struggling and I don't know how to help him and Ranger will come up and bite the scales off of him and be mean since he can't swim and hide until Ranger is over his anger strike. What should I do? I know it isn't exactly a betta emergency, but it kills me to see him like this.
karbear625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Float one of them in a bowl or cup inside the tank, preferably a non see through bowl or even better if you can get a breeder box it will allow water to flow through it, the down side they're usually clear. This will give the platy a rest from harassment, you can either remove your Betta or the platy. I'd probably remove the platy so he doesn't have to struggle so much to swim.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #3 
karbear625

I did separate him in my net floating in the tank (don't ask how lol) and he rested up for awhile. I just let him go before I checked back in and he swam slowly, then his fins froze and he floated down. He is still alive and will correct himself if he floats over, but he is on his last limb. :( Ranger just attacked him again and he did get away, but I feel so bad. He is breathing very heavy and I am really worried. Maybe I'll put him back, but I think it would just be best to let him have the ten gallon and his ladies if he is going to leave us tonight. Is there any possible way to treat him?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM   #4 
karbear625

UPDATE: He got sucked up in the filter but since the net was wrapped around it (I cut a net apart so the fish wouldn't be sucked thru the filter system) I was able to get him out as soon as I saw him. The little man is still hanging on and I put him back in the floating net and that's where he'll stay until he either passes or gets better. It's small enough so he doesn't have to swim far and he can lay and rest on it but big enough where he can move some.