Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #1 
Sarah242

Sick betta, can't narrow it down to a single problem.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellet food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A
(Water previously tested at pet store and I was just told it was "OK")

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? see below
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? see below
When did you start noticing the symptoms? two days after buying him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? NO
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought 5 days ago

Additional Symptoms:

I'm really not sure what to narrow it down to on my new betta as far as an illness or fungus.

He is not hungry, and has not shown any interest in food since I bought him 5 days ago. He has recently shown moderate bloating, has white/stringy feces. After a couple days he stopped swimming as much as when I brought him home, and now it even looks like he has fin rot on his tail with small cotton-like growths. He no longer flares his fins, and still does not want to eat.

The water is clean and he's in better conditions than his cup at the pet store where I bought him.

At this point I don't really know what the source of the problem is, or what the main problem is that I need to work to correct to get him healthy. It just seems like everything has gone wrong and I'm keeping him in the same conditions as my previous betta I had for 3 years.

Any help guys?
Sarah242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #2 
dormbettafishery

Hey Sarah, I'm sorry about all the complications with your new betta, but don't give up. Does the little guy have a name?

From your description "white stringy feces" It sounds a lot like parasites. As for the cotten-like grouths I've read up and that might be fungal infection. But don't freak out because these are just guesses, I'm not saying that's what it is, but it could be a possibility. Wait for more replies from other BettaFish members.

I would also suggest you do some research online. And a picture of your betta would make it easier to diagnose the problem. If you can't take a picture and upload it on here then you can go on google and search those details. Example: cotten-grouth on fins, fungal infection fish, betta parasite, what causes fish bloated stomach, and you could also post links of pictures that look like what your betta is going through.

Direct Example:
This is a betta fish with a parasite.http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/Fish-1472...White-tube.jpg

Another thing you can do is take a few pictures focusing on the things you've noticed that seem wrong (zoom in and full body) of your betta and go to a local petstore that has fish. You can ask one of the people in the fish section showing them pictures. While your there you can ask them about what type of medicine to treat fin-rot/parasites/fungal-infection if you don't already have some. I would test the water again to double check and make sure its not the water.

Does this help?

God Bless,
DBF

Last edited by dormbettafishery; 03-27-2013 at 07:12 PM.
dormbettafishery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum. From the descriptions of his symptoms, he may well have a parasite problem. I recommend putting him into 1 tsp of epsom salts per gallon and then treating him with API General Cure. If the cottony like growths on his fins don't improve after the General Cure, we may need to try something else as well. But for now, General Cure should help with any internal and external parasites.

Good luck!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, emergency, illness