Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #21 
Sakura8

It could be the medicine is making him lethargic. Continue with the Maracyn Two until the end of its recommended dosing period unless your betta becomes worse in behavior. If the spots are healing, that's a good sign but if you stop medication too soon, bacterial infections can return and be resistant to treatment. So it's important not to stop unless necessary.

Hopefully your betta perks up after his treatment. If I am remembering correctly, he showed no signs of any internal problems, just the spots on his side and face, right? However, if he does have an internal problem such as an infection that is making him lethargic, the Maracyn Two should treat that as well because it absorbs well into the system. As long as the problem is not in the kidneys and your betta is not bloating, the medicine is safe to continue.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #22 
iambeetle

He is not bloating... but he is very inactive... in fact the only one thing he does is laying down on his side, not moving at all and not eating at all even when I put food close to his mouth...

Today is the 3rd day and still 2 days to go... not sure if he can take it...
iambeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #23 
iambeetle

he also breath really heavily when his is not near the surface of the water...
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #24 
Sakura8

Then you may want to stop the medication since he appears to be in some distress. Remove him into clean water and let him recover.

I'm a bit worried that he has an internal problem that may need treatment, if he is so lethargic. If he has not perked up in a few days after the medication, we may want to switch him into epsom salts and look into treating him with Seachem Kanaplex.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #25 
iambeetle

should i do a 50% water change and continue with the maracyn two?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #26 
Sakura8

No. I think he is reacting poorly to the Maracyn Two and at this point, I'm afraid that the meds will hurt more then help. Do a 100% and get him into clean water, no meds.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #27 
iambeetle

okay will do that right now..
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #28 
iambeetle

i just did a 70% water change, and he started eating right away.... still laying on the side though... but I will keep observing....
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #29 
Sakura8

Tomorrow, it might be a good idea to add in 1 tsp of epsom salts per gallon - plain magnesium sulfate - to his tank. That might help with his internal issues. I've heard from a veterinary friend that Maracyn Two might stifle their sense of smell and their appetite so maybe that is why he wouldn't eat.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #30 
iambeetle

I have been adding aquarium salt in every water change since last week, is that good enough?