Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #31 
Sakura8

If he has an internal problem, it would be best to switch to epsom salt now. Aquarium salt can make some internal problems worse.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #32 
iambeetle

what kind of internal problem could he have? and from what signs it shows?
iambeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #33 
Sakura8

Possibly an internal bacterial infection. Often when a betta starts to feel very lethargic and doesn't want to swim, it's internal. It's possible that he started out with a topical bacterial infection that went internal through the sores on his body.

Other possible explanations for his behavior and his heavy breathing could be external parasites such as gill and skin flukes but if you've been adding aquarium salt this seems unlikely. Most external parasites will react to aquarium salt and that would have cleared up the problem.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #34 
iambeetle

he seem a lot more active now and is swimming around... I do think the Maracyn Two has some effect on him... but since he is doing okay again... should I start the dosage again?

I am amazed by the difference he has before and after the water change...
Old 04-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #35 
Sakura8

No, I don't think he tolerates the Maracyn Two at all and I'm concerned that if we put him back into it, he might get worse.

How do the sore spots look? Do they look like they are healing?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #36 
iambeetle

They look like they are healing... most obvious is that the one close to the head is almost healed. However, the one close to the tail is better but not completed healed. The pimple-like thing by the mouth is healed...

These pics are what I took just now... could use for comparison to the ones I post in the beginning.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #37 
Sakura8

He looks good. I really can't tell where the spots were so I definitely would not put him back in any medication. Clean water should be just fine.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #38 
iambeetle

he gets really inactive and sinks at the bottom of the tank again for 2 days... I have completely no idea what is wrong....

i notice sometime he float up to the surface and breath, and when he does that, he does very quick jumps (6-7 jumps) to take in air.... and then he goes back down the bottom again... is that a sign of something?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:10 AM   #39 
Sakura8

:/ These are the symptoms I hate the most because they could mean just about anything. With symptoms like this, it's hard to know how to treat them and if you treat them for the wrong thing, it ends up making them even worse. And there is no way to tell exactly what is wrong without doing expensive tests that most veterinarians won't do anyway. :(

My best advice at this point is to lower the water level if he has trouble surfacing or put him in a shallow cup and float him. Make sure his water is warm and the air is humid above so he can breathe in moist air. Adding 1 tsp of epsom salts per gallon may help alleviate some symptoms. If you have Indian Almond leaf or a source of tannins, now is a good time to add those to his water.

I wish I had the answers, I really do, but I'm afraid to suggest any more medications without knowing if I need to target something internal or parasitic or whatever. :(
Old 04-06-2013, 02:54 AM   #40 
iambeetle

I noticed another small bleeding spot beside his mouth... I have been reading and could it be ammonia poisoning?

He is still eating but definitely getting skinnier...