Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Um... Sticky please? This is really awesome. I use nls. Best food IMO, no (possibly) cancer causing ethoxyquin and it has garlic. I saw almost the exact same thing on a different forum and this is super helpful!
plus. one.
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #12 
bannlow2471

Artemis that was my questi
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

The veggies and fruits are just extracts, so the vitamins are in there, but not the fiber, which a betta wouldn't be able to handle.
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:20 AM   #14 
bannlow2471

I see my post didn't go through, or got cut off. That's what I get for being lazy and using my iPhone. Sorry about that. Anyway my question was essentially what Artemis said, which has now been answered. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #15 
Artemis

Yes but are the vitamins needed at this point? You can domesticate an animal as much as you want, their stomachs aren't going to change and neither are the dietary needs. They are made to eat bugs and meat, carnivores. They get all of their vitamins, minerals, and nutrition from meat. They do not need added extras. They could eat mosquito larvae, bloodworms, and the like for their whole life and it would be very natural and fulfilling.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #16 
bannlow2471

Artemis, I hope someone answers this because I had much the same question. On a side note, my dogs and cats are fed a prey model raw diet because I am convinced that its the best thing for them based i what they are genetically engineered to consume. As I learn more about Bettas and their natural diet, it does seem that many of the commercial diets are flawed, which concerns me. I noticed also that many of them contain menadione bisulfate complex which is a synthetic vitamin K derivative that has known carcinogenic properties.

Last edited by bannlow2471; 03-30-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The fruits and veggies are actually very good for the betta. You would be surprised by the amount of vegetable matter a betta actually eats. The veggies in NLS are in low quantities and are mainly extracts included for the vitamins. Nls also contains a little bit of harlic which acts as a natural parasite preventer. And I know you feed omega one, and I don't know why you are so set on bashing NLS when the food you use contains kelp (a marine PLANT), wheat gluten (a unhealthy binder. NLS uses whole wheat flour as their binder.) and ethoxyquin. It is known that ethoxyquin is a carcinogen, but we don't yet know if it is dangerous for bettas. I care about my fish, and I prefer not to feed something that could make them sick. All preservatives are not good for any animal, fish and humans included.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #18 
Artemis

I'm not trying to bash. I'm sorry if it seems that way. Thank you for the new information. I just went on a research spree and I believe you are right, sorry if I offended you, thanks.

What is the difference between wheat gluten and whole wheat flour as a binder? I really don't want to bash and I did not notice the kelp. Are the results good? Are they small pellets? Where can I buy this? Would a picky fish maybe like it more?

If anyone can give me light and maybe explain the ingredients over PMs, it would be greatly appreciated. It seems like I was going about this all wrong!
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

MattsBettas wasn't being mean or anything, he likes to have his points across straightly and firmly. :) I'm sorry if I was bashing you, too. Or at least I sounded like it.

Wheat gluten is an optional filler most brands have. The wheat flour seems to be in every brand I know. It's basically the most common binder and filler of all. NLS' pellets are really small and you can feed up to 8 pellets a day. You can find it at Petco. There's garlic in this so there should be a likely chance of a picky one eating it.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes, I like to get my point across straight and firm lol. Sorry that I sounded so harsh. I'm glad you are open minded. Omega one is not bad food, its one of the best out there. I just want to make it clear that NLS is great food to. Sorry!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote