Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #41 
mandimai

I am always having this conversation, only in regards to dog food, with my clients. Quality food is SOOO important! NLS by far loos like the best here. I am trying a mix my breeder friend uses, but will be switching to NLS if I decide I don't like his.
mandimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #42 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandimai View Post
I am always having this conversation, only in regards to dog food, with my clients. Quality food is SOOO important! NLS by far loos like the best here. I am trying a mix my breeder friend uses, but will be switching to NLS if I decide I don't like his.
I know this is off topic but what dog food brand(s) do you suggest? I've been looking for a good brand for my dog. He's almost 7 and is a chihuahua/miniature pinscher and weighs about 11lbs.

I ask because I've been looking all over for a good brand but there aren't many choices available here and I'm willing to buy online but I find so many good brands that have been bought out by other companies and have been causing dogs to have diarrhea and vomiting (Innova I know is one and Blue Buffalo wilderness is another). I feel bad that my fish have better quality food than my dog! He's always had Iams.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #43 
mandimai

Personally I *love* Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural. EVO is awesome as well. I feed both to my service dogs. If you can, grain free is the way to go.

A great reference site is: dogfoodadvisor.com
They break down foods and give ratings on each one depending on what goes into them.

A great educational piece is: http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_a.../thread/518898

I'm a professional dog trainer, specializing in training service dogs. Feel free to PM me if you want more info or have more questions!
mandimai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #44 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks! I looked it up and there are only a few places here in Nebraska that sell the earthborn but I will live relatively close to one when I move in a month or so! I think I'll order some online to try it.

I look at that dog food advisor site a LOT and the comments there suggest that the innova and blue buffalo have been giving dogs stomach issues after the companies were bought out, even though the rating is still 5 stars, I think the formulas have since changed and the comments made me scared to even try new foods. Earthborn is both 5 stars and has good comments :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #45 
NozzALa

I feed mine the betta flakes that you can get from Walmart. I tried pellets but he wouldn't eat them and they would just sit at the bottom and cloud the tank after a while. If I ever went with a different food it would definitely have to be flake form.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #46 
Mohankrish99

Cp optimum Betta food is best for me as these are about 1mm and my Betta eats them very quickly they never sink until fish swallows it and splits it...for me its best...
Mohankrish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #47 
xxRho

@mandimai - (off topic) YES to this and the amount you feed you dogs is really important! I'm constantly waring over my family dog's cooked bones and portion sizes

That's so cool (I wish I was a dog trainer )
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #48 
waterdog

Not making a big deal about it, but could you dog food guys either pm or start a thread in one of the off topic sections please? Thank you
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 AM   #49 
Nibblez

When i first bought my betta, i got the Aquarian brand pellets for my first betta. I used that for a few months till i got another betta and thats when i started looking into other foods for my bettas, i saw the hikari bio-gold which was everywhere and was the best i could find at that time. My bettas loved it over the Aquarian one, but after reading up on the NLS pellets, i tried looking for them but i cant find them in australia so i started to look into other foods, i found the Ocean Nutrition food which looked so much better than what i have but i was also comparing it to the ADA pellets. I settled for the ADA pellets, I currently feed it to all my bettas and they just gobble it up. i still treat my bettas to live foods but they seem to prefer the pellets now. I would list the ingredients if i could but it doesnt exactly list it clearly like every other food brands.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #50 
xxRho

Sorry waterdog!

I got carried away.

Back on topic:

This is the food I am currently using (although I plan on changing when I finish the pack). The packaging looks exactly the same and its the same brand and product but I don't have my packaging here to list the ingredients so I will just go with what the website says it has (I'm hoping the ingredients are the same no matter what country you're in).
I also occasionally use freeze dried blood/black worms and the Nutrafin Max Betta Colour Enhancing Flakes.

Zoo Med Micro Floating Betta Pellets:

Ingredients:

Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Squid Meal, Soybean Meal, Krill Meal, Fish Oil (naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Shrimp Meal, Dehydrated Beets, Lecithin, Garlic Powder, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of stabilized Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Potassium Iodate, Astaxanthin, Canthaxanthin, Propionic Acid (a natural preservative), Rosemary Extract

Also with these sorts of food will the copper in it pose a problem for other things in the tank or is it in too low a quantity/okay since you only put as much as the betta will eat at a time?
I'm just wondering because I've been told copper additives to the aquarium (e.g. a copper coin in the filter, copper based meds, etc) will kill all the invertebrates, also a lot of foods has "copper something" in the ingredients (but I also know that copper is needed in the diet of vertebrates for respiratory enzymes and in inverts its used in-place of iron for oxygen transport).
Any thoughts?
xxRho is offline   Reply With Quote