Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

Neon Tetras hovering in one spot

Hi! I bought my first school of fish for my 55 gallon tank last night.
I got 6 Neon tetra. I acclimated them and then let them go in the tank. They stayed in a tight little group and explored the tank for a while, swimming around its borders. But eventually, they all congregated in the area near the middle at the bottom and have been swimming around in a tight little group, but don't leave that area. It's not like they're hiding because I have a pretty lush area of plants on the left side and some rocks and a smaller plant on the right side, but they're staying right in the middle out in the open. It's weird for them to be at the bottom of the tank too, isn't it? They were the same this morning just swimming around, barely, in their little group, in just one area like none of them wanted to take the lead to go anywhere. I actually couldn't find one of them last night before I went to bed, but he was back with the group this morning.
So, why are they acting like this? Is it just because they are in a new environment?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #2 
Crowntails

Yup. I'd get 6-10 more. It'd make them feel more safe and come out of the corner.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #3 
OrangeAugust

Ok, I'll try that. I think I will only get 4 more now because there are a number of other schooling fish I want to get and I don't want to overstock the tank.

Here's a cute picture of when they were first exploring the tank.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Give them some time to settle in and they should be fine. Are they trying to get away from a strong water flow by any chance?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

The filters do seem a little strong, and I have one on each side and they were at the bottom in the middle... maybe the filters are too strong...
Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

They do need to settle. But that's a little fish in a lot of tank. This sounds a lot like the behavior of my tetras when I had 5. Added 5 more and they really came to.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #7 
OrangeAugust

Ok, thanks everyone. I'll get a few more today. I just saw that they're on sale at Petsmart for $1.00 each! I got the other ones at a LFS and they were like, $2.50 each or something like that.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Awesome. The more the merrier.
I'm not sure what you're planning but I'd have at least a group of 10 in that size tank. It's planted so you could do a lot more in there, depending on what else you'd like. I'd be willing to help with that.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

Yeah, I'm going to get 4 more.
In the tank I'm planning to also have zebra danios, glow light tetras, black phantom tetra, some kind of rasbora (harlequin, or those other ones that were renamed as danios... I think pearl danios used to be galaxy rasboras or something like that), oto cats, julii cory cats, an angelfish, and 6 female bettas.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #10 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I would reconsider the galaxy rasbora, they are very timid and might not do well in that tank.

And drop the angel fish. A grown angel fish will eat neon tetras and anything similar to that size. They do get really big.

Tags
neons, tetra