Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #1 
Shicocono

Unhappy Betta suddenly died. No symptoms

Hello. I joined just to ask this question. I often come to the forum as a guest to look up things about bettas, but I couldn't find anything really pertaining to this?

Not just a few hours ago, our lovely betta girl died.

She had been kept in a divided ten gallon tank, but after an impulse buy at petco, we had one too many fish and not enough tanks. We decided she would look lovely in her very own tank, but since we didn't currently have one, we took her out of the ten gallon and set up a temporary vase to keep her in for a couple of days until we had a new tank properly set up.

Everything had been washed with hot water [except for the bamboo plants] and no soap. We had clear glass marbles at the bottom with some bamboo around the sides. The vase was almost 3/4 of a gallon and treated with nutrafin aquaplus.

We were worried about her getting cold, so we had a thermometer in there with her. The temperature seemed to be staying at a steady 71-72*F. She obviously wasn't pleased with the smaller set up, but she was acting fine. No clamped fins and paying close attention to us and constantly begging for food.

She was fine for two days, and we were about to go out and buy the new tank today and all the needed supplies. I woke up and she was fine. Behaving normally. Then, I went to check on her after an hour as she was dead- face down in the marbles. She was undamaged. No swelling or ripped fins. No clouded eyes. When we took her out she was still limp like she only just died

What happened? I don't understand.
Shicocono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #2 
tekkguy

She was only in the small container for a couple of days? Ammonia possibly, but unlikely in that short timespan. What was her tank's temp before you moved her, and how did you acclimate her to the new small tank?

Any chance of there being soap reside or residue from floral arrangements in the vase? My sister is a florist - the stuff they use in the vase water for flowers is decidedly unsafe for fish in most cases. Was this a used vase?
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 
Shicocono

The tank she was in before is at a 75-76*f range. The vase I bought myself and I had been housing bamboo with it. I watered the bamboo with tap water and sometimes put in some nutrafin planthelper stuff. I use to house it in 'water beads' but recently switched to marbles.

Before we put her in we rinsed everything very thoroughly with warm water and the bamboo with cool water gently.

We acclimatized her to the vase by floating her in a baggy for 15mins, adding water and floating for another 10 mins. The vase was very nearly a gallon and she showed no signs of ammonia poisoning, or anything else for that matter. [we've dealt with ammonia poisoning in the past when we first started keeping betta almost 1 1/2 years ago]

the betta in my ten gal right now are all happy and healthy, swimming and flaring. So I don't believe it's anything she carried over from the original tank either.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #4 
tekkguy

The temperature range isn't that different (you really should try and raise your existing bettas SLOWLY to about 78*). I'm not familiar with water beads personally, so maybe something leftover from them?

How old was she?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #5 
Shicocono

She was young. We acquired her in the beginning of this month actually. She was a very healthy fish with beautiful color for a female.

As for the temp, now that it's creeping into spring/summer the temp should be getting to 78* range soon. We don't have a heater, but the temp is always steady- and in the 'green' range. I'm more worried about overheating them, but I suppose it's something I should look into.

I'm more worried about the sudden death right now. I feel sick, knowing I probably killed her I just don't know how
Old 03-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #6 
tekkguy

I don't think that you killed her at all. Very sorry for your loss ... if she is that young, she may not have been healthy to begin with, despite her activity.

Keep an eye on her previous tankmates, you'll want to catch anything they might have as quickly as possible if it starts to show up.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #7 
Shicocono

Thank you :'(

I personally doubt she was sick, because she was acting opposite of sick. It seems too far-fetched of a coincidence, if she WAS sick, that she suddenly died only after we put her in the vase.

Thank you so much though, for replying to me and trying to help. It means a lot :c <3
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #8 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shicocono View Post
Thank you :'(

I personally doubt she was sick, because she was acting opposite of sick. It seems too far-fetched of a coincidence, if she WAS sick, that she suddenly died only after we put her in the vase.

Thank you so much though, for replying to me and trying to help. It means a lot :c <3
Sometimes moving can be stress-inducing, and stress can cause them to succumb to some unseen parasite or sickness that hasn't peaked enough to be noticeable yet. So while moving might have triggered it, there was likely some other cause. I'd keep an eye on the others, and probably not use that vase with any other fish just in case those water beads had something to do with it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #9 
Shicocono

I'm starting to think that perhaps there was some sort of toxic residue leftover on the roots of the bamboo. It's the only thing I can think of. The waterbeads say 'nontoxic' but that probably doesn't count for fish.

it's the only thing I can think of [sigh] unless anyone else has heard of SFDS [sudden fish death syndrome] without any visual or behavioral tips before death? If not then....I'll just have to assume it was waterbeads :c
Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #10 
Shicocono

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
I'd keep an eye on the others, and probably not use that vase with any other fish just in case those water beads had something to do with it.
Oh yeah, never doing that again ever. I'm keeping watch on the others too. A fish death makes me incredibly paranoid for every betta I own, whether in contact with the dead betta or not.

Tags
dead betta, no signs, sudden betta death, sudden death