Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #1 
Otterfun

Conceptual Creations Stack Stones

Can I stack and submerge these stones ?

http://www.petco.com/product/119834/...Supplies_Decor

Photo courtesy of Petco

Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #2 
crystalicethorn

Most reptile products are made of plastic or a light material and will float. I bought a fake rock dish for the aquarium floor but there was no way of keeping it on the bottom of the tank.
I cant say i have experience using these, but its a pretty safe bet that these are plastic and will not stay down.
crystalicethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #3 
tekkguy

They look like real stone to me, and the cleaning instructions include bleach, so I'm betting on real stone.

However, they look like they might be limestone or otherwise calcium-based, so without an acid test, I wouldn't trust them.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #4 
tekkguy

Actually, I found it on the company's own site ... their photo there looks like it might be sandstone. That'll break down in the aquarium, but it takes a LONG time and isn't likely to cause much issue. I'd still do an acid test.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #5 
Otterfun

cool, thanks.

I touched it at PetSmart, it felt porus and light, almost like a foam, but it is real rock for sure.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #6 
tekkguy

If that's the case, it's probably foam covered in cement. Likely safe, depending on the cement, but no real way to tell unless you can find someone who has used it.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #7 
Blue Fish

Could you call the company and ask what they're made of? I've wondered the exact same thing, but worried that they would change my tank Ph since I couldn't figure out what they were made of.

Here are some other options aquarium-specific if you're looking to stack stones:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190748122675...84.m1423.l2649

I'm planning on purchasing some for a tank I want to do in a Lighthouse motif (lighthouses up on the rocks, then sunken ships and divers down below), and I'm hoping that they'll work. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #8 
tekkguy

The Penn-Plax ones are definitely plastic ... I've seen those at the store locally. They look decent, for plastic though.

Edit: haha, just saw that the auction itself specifically mentions plastic ... go me!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #9 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
The Penn-Plax ones are definitely plastic ... I've seen those at the store locally. They look decent, for plastic though.

Edit: haha, just saw that the auction itself specifically mentions plastic ... go me!
LOL! If it helps, I did the same thing. ;)
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

I went online, and according to one of the websites I found them on they are nontoxic, dishwasher safe, won't bleed or fade, and are made of 60% renewable resources. So...I'd think that they're probably not actually stone, but some other material, but if it's nontoxic, and a lot of reptiles also have water in their habitats, I'd think they'd be safe for fish. :)
If nothing else, as long as they are nontoxic, then I don't believe there can be anything in them that could hurt the fish.