Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #1 
CrazyDiamond

Want to Switch to Soil

I have cleaned my tank three times in the past week, one was an 80% water change, and still have a pretty bad planaria infestation, mostly on Freddie's side because he's either finicky or a slob and refuses to clean his room >.< Floyd's side is beautiful, he's such a good boy! But it seems like a good opportunity to switch to soil. This weekend I will probably take everything out and clean EVERYTHING then switch to soil. Not looking forward to it but I hope it will be rewarding :) I already have some naturally planted grow out jars for younger plants and to grow the tiny ones my older plants are sprouting now. My only problem will be capping the soil substrate. The manual for my Whisper 10 filter clearly states that it is not intended for use in a tank with sand and doing so will void its warranty. My grow out jars are potting soil and natural, small grain gravel, not sand. Could I cap my soil in my tank with the gravel I already have? Seems unconventional because I've actually never seen someone cap soil with gravel. I suppose I could maybe use larger grain sand, like the kind used in playground sandboxes or something (nostalgia lol) I've heard talk of pool sand, do you think I could use that and it would be okay with my filter because it, supposedly, sinks and doesn't float, therefore will not get into the filter. But I honestly don't know where I could find it and I am not currently able to order things online and have them shipped to me (collage student)

ALSO: What should I do about my filter? Could it possibly have the worms in it and just reintroduce them into my revamped tank, I would be livid! lol
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Not going to comment on the capped soil since I have no experience with that but with the planaria, I made sure I vacuumed well & fed less they eventually went away. They don't hurt anything just look annoying.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #3 
Stone

yes you can cap with gravel
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #4 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Not going to comment on the capped soil since I have no experience with that but with the planaria, I made sure I vacuumed well & fed less they eventually went away. They don't hurt anything just look annoying.
You can also under-feed the fish for a while, and instead stir up some planaria. I often catch worms in my shrimp tank (my wife calls them the "nasty worms from nowhere") and feed them to the fish in the other tanks.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #5 
CrazyDiamond

Awesome! Thanks guys :)
And yes planaria is annoying -_- lol
Old 03-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #6 
CrazyDiamond

I didn't feed Freddie this morning or last night and he still isn't eating them, the little fart lol
Pretty excited about my switch to soil though, maybe my plants will grow even better. After all I have heard about the maintenance of sand it doesn't sound too bad so I will be on the lookout for the heavier pool filter sand so it doesn't bother the filter. I don't think capping with my preexisting gravel would be the best when it comes to cleaning though, I'd be siphoning up soil I think :/
Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 
CrazyDiamond

OMG So I tried the bottle trap, and I think I have detritus not planaria not 100% sure though, but I left the bottle in all night and it has helped substantially! Still going for the switch to soil and sand though, I think it will be worth it, my plants are already growing like crazy in this crappy gravel substrate, can't imagine how they will grow in something more natural, I'm pretty psyched.