Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #1 
animalrie

Betta Feeding and Tail Biting

Hey all! I've noticed over the last few months that my betta, Oliver (about 1 year old) has been losing bits of his tail. I thought it was due to fin rot so I did heavy water changes for a couple of weeks and then continued to change half of his tank water once a week. But his tail still has gotten worse. I'm starting to wonder if its due to tail biting (all plants in the tank are silk). I haven't seem him bite his tail but the ends of it are not fuzzy or black, they are the same color as the rest of him. He is pretty active and goes bezerk when he sees me (asking for food). I've had multiple bettas die in the past due to bloat and overfeeding and I've been determined not to overfeed him. I generally feed him 2-3 pellets very 2-3 days as any more makes him pretty fat (not quite bloated, but I'm scared if I fed him every day it would get to be that way). Am I underfeeding him? Could this cause him to bite his tail? I've seen people post that they feed every day or even twice a day but I'm very nervous that this would cause him to get bloated. I just fed him 2 pellets yesterday and he's still pretty bulgy.
animalrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #2 
Myates

He is most likely biting due to stress and malnourishment.
Fish tend not to die from bloating itself, I would imagine there was another cause such as tumor, parasites, etc that caused their death.
Normally it is recommended to feed multiple small meals per day - 3-4 pellets twice a day is a good amount. Having a slight swollen belly after eating is normal and healthy. You want to have a small bulge for a belly..

Without a picture can't really tell if it's bulging from food, or if something else could be going on. How is his waste?

But I would say he is probably eating his fins out of either stress or looking for nutrition.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #3 
animalrie

Thanks for your help! I'm gonna start him out slow with 1-2 pellets a day and then slowly increase it since he's been used to eating a lot less. I think you're right, I've underfed him :'( His waste hasn't changed any and is solid, not stringy. Thanks again!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

What the of pellet are you feeding?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #5 
animalrie

HBH Betta Bites
Old 03-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok. Switch to new life spectrum (what I use) or omega one. Hbh is not great food and has a lot of filler, which is what bloats them. You can stop under feeding after you switch to proper food.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #7 
animalrie

Okay thank you! I've also heard hikari is good, would that work too?
Old 03-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's really not that good. The two I named are the best IMO. There is still a lot of filler in Hikari.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #9 
animalrie

Okay I'll order some new pellets! Thanks!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

No problem!