Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #1 
creame172
Member
 
creame172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
The difference between metallic and spread iridescence?

Ive been looking around online and on the forums, but cant seem to find (or maybe just dont understand) the difference between Metallic, and Spread iridescence. I know metallic is not just copper, there are other metallics, right? does "metallic" just include them all? like iridescence is a metallic but a metallic is not always iridescence kind of thing?
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:57 PM   #2 
caissacrowntails
Member
 
caissacrowntails's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by creame172 View Post
Ive been looking around online and on the forums, but cant seem to find (or maybe just dont understand) the difference between Metallic, and Spread iridescence. I know metallic is not just copper, there are other metallics, right? does "metallic" just include them all? like iridescence is a metallic but a metallic is not always iridescence kind of thing?
t

Terms are confusing sometimes LOL, but as far as I know, creame, metallic IS spread iridescence. I mean..for example..a blue betta with black head is iridescence...but a blue betta with "mask" (the blue spread to the head too ) is metallic ( spread iridescence ), someone please correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm quite lousy when it comes to terms..and lots lots of other things too LOL
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #3 
creame172
Member
 
creame172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissacrowntails View Post
t

Terms are confusing sometimes LOL, but as far as I know, creame, metallic IS spread iridescence. I mean..for example..a blue betta with black head is iridescence...but a blue betta with "mask" (the blue spread to the head too ) is metallic ( spread iridescence ), someone please correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm quite lousy when it comes to terms..and lots lots of other things too LOL
iridescence is just color? any color?
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator
 
indjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Metallic and Spread are two different genes. Metallic will give the color a shiny metallic look. It comes in various colors associated with irids like platinum and copper (steel blue background). Other color layers such as red and black seldom if ever combine well with metallic (you won't find a metallic pure red).

Spread is something that causes color pigments to cover the whole body (except head on regular colors), making the color/genes more intense. Spread can combine with all color layers; irid, black and red. So an individual can have both metallic and spread genes or only one of the two. Some colors need both to be present (not sure which colors)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #5 
creame172
Member
 
creame172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Metallic and Spread are two different genes. Metallic will give the color a shiny metallic look. It comes in various colors associated with irids like platinum and copper (steel blue background). Other color layers such as red and black seldom if ever combine well with metallic (you won't find a metallic pure red).

Spread is something that causes color pigments to cover the whole body (except head on regular colors), making the color/genes more intense. Spread can combine with all color layers; irid, black and red. So an individual can have both metallic and spread genes or only one of the two. Some colors need both to be present (not sure which colors)
oh ok.
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #6 
trilobite
Member
 
trilobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Christchurch, NZ
You know how wild splendens only have a few iridescent scales (shiny blue ones) on their bodies, spread iridescent takes those shiny scales and spreads them over the body giving you a blue fish.
Metallic affects the way the light hits the iridescent scales, eg a steel blue fish with 2 metallic genes will end up being a copper colour.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #7 
creame172
Member
 
creame172's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tennessee
i think i am starting to get it
creame172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
multi-colored iridescence OrangeAugust Betta Pictures 3 12-11-2012 12:50 PM
Squee! HMxCT 17 day olds showing iridescence styggian Betta Pictures 5 03-24-2012 07:00 PM
Betta wont spread fins anymore maladroit242 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 13 07-04-2011 10:28 PM
i have spread the disease FireKidomaru Betta Chat 10 02-19-2011 02:36 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.