Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #1 
Akuinnen

Too much sunlight?

I have two tanks, a 2.5 gal with one betta, and a 10 gal with a betta and a few tetras. Both are right by windows and get direct sunlight for part of the day. I have to clean algae pretty frequently, but both tanks have heaters so they shouldn't have much temperature change between day and night. Other than that, are there any problems wih direct sunlight?
Akuinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #2 
TurtleBarb

The three typical issues that direct sunlight can cause are algae blooms, temperature drop or increase, and stress. A heavy algae overgrowth can suck oxygen out of water, particularly in unfiltered and/or unaerated tanks. And add to organic load when they die off. Some cyanobacteria, which can look like algae, are especially good at sucking up oxygen and sometimes give off toxins that can bother the fish or you. I'm sensitive to them myself. Being by a window can cause temperature fluctuations, which can be stressful for fish. Drafts can lower temperatures, and direct sunbeams can raise temperatures, like in a greenhouse. Keep an eye on the temps to make sure they're not fluctuating too much or getting too hot or cold. Bright light can stress a shy fish if it has no way to escape it. Make sure Fishy has dim or dark hiding places where it can feel safe.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #3 
Shadyr

When I first set up my bookshelf tank, I placed it on my dresser and opened up one of the back window blinds so that the tank would get sun part of the day. My Very Red Redfish was on the end of the tank that got the lions share of the sunlight, and after the first day he turned orange.

I took this to mean it was stressing him out and have kept the blinds closed since. He reverted back to red within a day.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #4 
Akuinnen

Thank you for the very detailed response! Here are pictures of the tanks to clarify the amount of light/algae they have. The smaller tank sometimes will have slow-growing green spot algae. Thread algae grows in the 10 gallon tank, which I remove with every water change. There is also a small amount of beard algae.

I will definitely watch for temperature changes, I'm a little less worried about the 10 gallon because the blinds are often closed and the location gets less light, but the 2.5 might have more temperature change. The 2.5 might also not have enough hiding places, so I'll probably get some sort of cave for my betta.

Thanks again for the help!
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #5 
Akuinnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
When I first set up my bookshelf tank, I placed it on my dresser and opened up one of the back window blinds so that the tank would get sun part of the day. My Very Red Redfish was on the end of the tank that got the lions share of the sunlight, and after the first day he turned orange.

I took this to mean it was stressing him out and have kept the blinds closed since. He reverted back to red within a day.
How strange! I had no idea fish could change color from stress. My betta also has changed color, but I'm pretty sure it's just because he's a marble that he's been gradually turning more blue over the last year.

Tags
algae, sunlight