Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2014, 11:50 PM   #1 
PetMania

BettaMania Journal

I currently have two bettas, Snowbird and Hercules. Snowbird is a female HMPKEE salamander and very wild at heart; Hercules is a pink and purple male VT with a very sweet composure.

After a space problem and a few financial issues, I had to adopt out 9 of my 11 bettas. I am taking a slight hiatus from my previous- what my family calls- betta "obsession". Most of these fish were rescues and I hope to get back to that one day.

So I'll try to post daily and do pic updates every once in awhile. Thanks for viewing my journal! I hope you enjoy =)

Here are some pics:) Sorry, I won't be hitting the 50 limit today
Attached Images

PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #2 
PetMania

Snowbird stopped eating prepared food such as pellets and bloodworms. I placed a week old platy fry in there and she ate it right away. She shows no signs of illness.

Can you feed your betta live foods like livebearer fry?
Old 04-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #3 
KatNDog292

I think so. My dad tried to make me feed my betta brine shrimp but they were kinda my pets too... Anyway I'm sure it won't really matter.
KatNDog292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #4 
PetMania

Thanks. I just want to make sure it will be fine to feed her this as a full time diet. She's a big girl so a week old fry fits in her stomach perfectly.
Hmm, since it is significantly larger than NLS pellets, I'm wondering how many feedings per week. I'll look into that.
Since I have guppies for a breeding project, I might use the extra fry as food for my bettas. I know they'll be producing a steady supply.

"Hard Part About the Fish Hobby":
For now, I am trying so hard not to go to PetCo and grab a ton of those baby bettas. URGH I'm trying to save room for an all time favorite, CT male. Now that the financial issues are resolved and I have space, I may be able to continue my collecting. That'll probably be far from now :/

The only downside to the weekend is that Saturdays are WC days. Though I enjoy cleaning my betta tanks, I can't say the same for my livebearer and goldfish tanks. This also means that I can go to the petstore and look at some really pretty fish and possibly obtain some new plants.

"Betta Cuteness":
Hercules has been making the largest nest ever. It's covering 1/3 of his tank. I assume that he is really happy. Snowbird is "adventuring" through the ball of floating plants I place in her tank. Speaking of her tank, I found 3 ramshorns and an egg sac in there. Great more babies. Oh well, hopefully my new 'wild' betta will eat them as a snack, lol.

"My Thoughts":
The light in Snowbird's tank went out, so maybe I should replace the tank (the light is not replaceable) so I don't have to use a lamp. And I should look into getting a tank for hercules that has a light fixture. Even though this hobby is money out of your pocket, it's quite rewarding an entertaining. Some people think I'm crazy with all my tanks and stuff, but I think it's educational. You learn a lot of genetics, parameters, biology, and much more that is very valueable later on. I used to have an interest in marine biolgy, but the certain requirements for it didn't suit me, but I still am very dedicated to the care of aquatics.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #5 
PetMania

So today I noticed Hercules flaring at the girls for adoption, and was building a bubble nest at the same time. He is well over 2 years old and still in the game. Does that mean that older bettas can still breed?

Snowbird was chasing her food around for quite awhile as her meal was a little bit larger this time. Hopefully Hercules will take to eating quickly when I start him on guppy fry.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #6 
BettaLover1313

Subscribing! :D
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #7 
PetMania

hi, BettaLover! Hope you enjoy my journal :)

I think I underestimated the IAL I put in the betta tanks. Hehe, it looks like really dark tea right now. One leaf can make a 2 gallon tank look like a cup of caf.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #8 
Sabina88

Your bettas are cute i love the name snowbird
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #9 
PetMania

Thank you. Yeah, I think it fits her perfectly.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #10 
Sabina88

She reminds me of a betta I had awhile ago :) Name:  Sparrow.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  23.5 KB

I love how she looks a little bit different depending on the lighting How did you come up with the name Snowbird?
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote