Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #1 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Talking A Dragon's Many Adventures

Hello, hello, hello!! This is the one and only place which will feature the full extent of my adventures with my family.... of pets, of course! So so so
.... I guess I'll introduce msyelf (not that you care about little 'ol me )
I am a 13 year old girl dragonnnnnn. You can call me.... (drumroll) DRAGON!!!
... I don't really have any good nicknames. BESIDES Dragon is a FANTASTIC name. Yeah.
Oh yeah, first RULE- no talk or actual slaying of dragons. We're innocent.
OK, I'll get serious- in the next post. I'm just going to write a bunch of smaller posts throughout today. And hopefully I can get pics up tomorrow.

Last edited by THATDragonLovesBettas; 07-24-2015 at 10:43 AM.
THATDragonLovesBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #2 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Welp. All of my bettas are already introduced in my sig. And since most of their tank situations are temporary... well they're temporary. But I suppose I'll tell you what they're in for now. Of course, I have other pets to introduce you to, too.
Enough- LETS GET TO IT!!!!!
Firstly- my two wonderfurlous doggies.
Lily, at my moms, is a golden retreiver (possibly mixed with Cheasepeke Bay Retreiver) who we've had since she was a puppy- 7 years and she'll be 8 in August.
Then at my dads, my puppy Aria, who just became a year old last month. She's a lab/pit mix, and probably the most insane dog around. I mean, Lily is weird too, but Aria... is at a whole different level .
Old 05-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #3 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Taking a short break from intros to tell about the happenings of the first half of my day.

So, me and my little sister were with my mom at her docters office, and as we're walking through the hallways, I'm bracing myself. Why? Cuase I just KNEW I would see a betta in a bowl. Sure enough, there he was. A pretty green crowntail, hanging at the top of this probably 1 gallon bowl. What makes it worse was that I think he was a King- he has those big bulky features of one. And of course, he was sick. He had a patch of fungus on him. When I was talking to my mom about it, desperatly trying to recall how you treat fungus, the recptionist nearby said (whoever was taking care of it) was putting "stuff" in the water for it. And I'm thinking WHAT STUFF?? But I don't ask. We head back down the hallway, and I'm still thinking about him. Then, I have an idea. What I did when we past him again was write on a little paper 'Go to bettafish.com for betta info' and wedge it under the bowl. So, since the owner wasn't around, I still got to direct them to a good place. Anyway, I wish I could've rescued the little guy, but it just wasn't possible :/
Next, we stopped by a LFS,to pick up a few things. Well, I hadn't been to this place in a while, and when we walked in, I idmedietly noticed that there fish section had gone through an upgrade. I mean, it was fine before, and it isn't perfect now, but it was an improvement. Still, most of their bettas weren't healthy looking at all. A couple were in the bigger tanks with other (peaceful) fish. One guy, the smallest, a little crowntail, was just... well, there was a giant sponge filter in there with a strong current, and this little guy looked like he couldn't move in it! He just stayed in this one spotand managed to not get blown away! It was sad to see. I wanted to rescue him, but I just got two bettas a week ago, and they don't have their permanent tanks set up yet. (more on that later)
Then, we went to a thrift store, right near my house, to look at these chairs thay had for my dad. And you know what they had in there? A FISH TANK. A 30 gallon long, with a bunch of plastic plants and ornaments and a lid and an old filter AND an old wooden stand! When I ask the lady how much just the plants are, she shows me that there is a box of more fish stuff and that she was planning on selling them all together as a set. Geuss how much she was selling this all for? A HUNDRED BUCKS!! For all that! Ugh, I really want to buy it, even if I wouldn't use everything it came with. It's just too good of a deal! Unfortionatly, I dont have close to that amount of money. :( Unless someone bought it for me (early B-day present?) or I... I dunno. It probably won't happen. Which sucks.

Last edited by THATDragonLovesBettas; 05-30-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #4 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Next up, is my two biggest tanks.
My 29 gallon freshwater community- which is my current (official) project. The biggest/most important thing I still need is the hood. Other than that... its not fully stocked, nor is it fully decorated. The theme is asian temple-y. Although, I only have one decoration in there right now to attest to that- my tiny Buddha statue. Here's the fish I have in it now:
8 Neon tetras- (I cant tell them apart but I still name them) Tiny, Bulbasaur,Tapper, Dorey, Azul, Dos, Watermelon, and Pepper
5 Harlequin Rasboras- (still cant tell them apart exept that two-the oldest- are way bigger than the rest) Lumen and Midnight are the bigger two, and the rest are Yin, Romeo, and Juliet.
5 Kuhli Loaches- (cant tell apart) Lightning, Wolf, Electross, Slytherin, and Snape
2 female swordtails- Morgana is orange and black and Morguase is orange and yellow
2 fancy (male, but we pretend they're girls) guppies- Fancy and Fashion (named by my sister) and I think Fashion is the one with more black on her
2 black skirt tetras- Dust and Grey, who we pretend is a girl and is technically a 'Highfin' Black skirt tetra. Basically, her fins are just longer and more flow-y than Dust's.
And thats all we have now, but I want to get some Rummy Noses, a Bristlenose pleco, some hatchet fish, some galaxy rasboras, a blue ram chiclid, and maybe even a female betta =D
Yes, I know that its going to be overstocked. I've considered that. But with an AquaClear 50 and a sponge filter (which I'm getting after everythings else) I think it will be adequately filtered for its large stocking.

Last edited by THATDragonLovesBettas; 05-30-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #5 
THATDragonLovesBettas

My last (other than the bettas) tank is not a 'fish' tank but a 'hermit crab' tank.
Its a 20 long. I have 9 hermit crabs in there, ranging from tiny to small/medium sized.
4 Purple Pinchers- (the ones I've had longest to the newest ones) Hermes, Scrabble, Kingler and Strawberry
5 ecuadorians- Hideout, Crowely, Mr. Chippers, Little Jack Jr., and Spirit
I cant technically tell them apart, because literally every trait that can help you know whos who can change- color, size (they can seem to get smaller after a molt), shell, personality... but if I see a crab I give it an educated guess and think, "oh, look, Mr. Chippers is out"
Finally, we get to talk about the bettas tomorrow! Until then!
Old 05-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #6 
TuiAndLa

I love how you name all the fish even though you can't tell them apart. xD And I love all the names of the fish too.

Funny about your dog named Lily- I've been thinking of naming one of my betta's Lily. She's one that I'd gotten the same week I first saw my new platinum girly (from my thread). That's when I had left the platinum girl behind. =/

She was WHITE in the store, stressed striped and had a flesh wound (but seemed lively enough). Now, she's doing great, wound is healing, and to my surprise, she turned straight blue! xD Her dorsal stripe was a very light tan and now it's dark grey. She does stress very easily though. She'll stripe up immediately from a water change, so I figured a sensitive name would suit her. She's like a delicate little flower (Lily). haha I'll post pics of her some time, maybe when I can get a photoshoot for the new platinum girl.

The pit/lab mix you mentioned too- her energy level must be crazy. xD
TuiAndLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:06 PM   #7 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Ayyy you came! >o< thanks!
Oh yes, its fun naming tham all, even though I usually can't remember them XD
Me, my mom and my sister usually collaborate on naming them, which gets some good results. :D
Yeah, Lily is good name, imo (obviously) And I would love to see pics of her, she sounds pretty!
OHHH YEAH Aria is a complete SPAZ!! Luckily, we love her to bits, so it doesn't bother us (but of course we make sure she has plenty of oppertunities to get energy out!)

I spent my morning reorganizing/deep cleaning the crabitat. Not a bad thing at all- I enjoy it. I think the crabs do too, they're almost always out and about after I change things around.
Alright... now I will FINALLY talk about my betta boys!
I've had Prince Lucas for about 3 years now. He was my first betta- which quickly got me addicted to them! He's lived in his 1.5 gallon bowl his whole life- but wait, let me explain! A large part of what I know about fish/betta care i've learned in the past year. He was happy and active in his bowl- until a year (? not sure) ago. Now he has trouble swimming and generally lays on his tank furniture. I've blamed this on old age- becuase I honestly don't know what else would cause this. And trust me- I've looked into it. He's still happy, just not normal. He's always loved his bowl and now that he doesn't really swim... well, I want to at least get him in a 2.5 gallon tank so that there is more water volume, but not a ton more swimming space. But that project will have to wait.
Right now things are kinda crazy, heres why-
before I had a 10 gallon divided into 3 sections at my dads, but I just tore it down- now Cinna and Storm are in 1 and 1.5 gallon, for fin rot treatment. Storm will go in the (now undivided) 10 gallon, and I'll have to buy Cinna a new tank.
Then at my moms, I just got Julius and Ray-Ray a week ago, who are both temporarily in 1 and 1.5 gallon tanks. So, I need to buy both of them new tanks. And, I still have to buy a $40 hood for the 29 gallon too- do you see why I need more money? aggg
Old 05-31-2015, 04:17 PM   #8 
TuiAndLa

Gotta love when lack of $ puts a damper on things. xP

Wow, your first betta's 3 years old now? That's pretty cool! Sorry about him declining in health though. =/ I have to watch one of my boys going downhill too (Anduin, my blue marble). He started going blind and now has this slight growth around his eye, and it's slowly getting bigger. He's only about a year old too.

Sending good vibes that Cinna and Storm heal up well. :3
TuiAndLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #9 
THATDragonLovesBettas

Ugh, I know, I'll be like "I want ___ for ___" then its just like "sigh.... put it at the end of the list.." XD moan
Yeah... hes really close to my heart... hes kinda like my weird/grumpy old man fish. If that makes any sense. XD
The thing that sucks is that I have no idea WHY. ... like I said, I've tried to see what it could be, but nothing seemed to match his 'symptoms'. My best guess is that his fins weigh him down.
I'm sorry about Anduin (btw, cool name). I've never heard of anything like that... is he happy though?
Thanks! ^-^ Cinna's fins aren't so bad, Storms does have a little more rot on him. And of course neither are happy about being in a small tank!

I didn't forget about Jay! I got him a year ago, and originally the plan was for him to be in my (then) 10 gallon community. His feisty attitude didn't agree with that plan- there was nipping, and he was moved to his own 2.5, which he's lived in to this day. Actually- I remember why I first decided to buy him...
He was in a tank with other fish for sale. There was a patch of some kind of floating plant in there, which he was hanging out underneath of. Then, when another fish (2 times his size!) tried to swim under there, he flared right up! "Get outta here! This is MY territory!" That cracked me up, and I bought him! (considering that story, I'm suprised that I didn't realize that he wouldn't be a community fish.. ;P)

Last edited by THATDragonLovesBettas; 07-24-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:40 PM   #10 
THATDragonLovesBettas

This is Julius in his temporary 1.5 gallon bowl:
(Only posting 1 because I want to see if this works; this is my first time uploading pics on my kindle)
Attached Images