Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #1 
Boshia

Boshia's bettas

Well, I'm not one for keeping a journal. Most of my thoughts are just spewed out onto a random Tumblr post. But I guess it's time to organize myself a bit!
I'll start by introducing the stars of this journal.

This is Blitz. He's my oldest betta. I got him August 15th of last year from Petco. Unfortunately though, in the past few months there's been some sort of tumor growing on his side. This picture was taken on June 24th:

It is now bigger and the hole in his fin has widened a lot. I'm not sure how much longer he has, but I intend on making him as comfortable and as content as possible.

My second betta I got almost exactly a month ago, on June 6th. She was on the baby betta rack and looked so pitiful. She was the smallest baby, and was so lethargic. This is what she looked like when I first got her:

And this is her yesterday, I have named her Genesis:

She now hardly stays still!

The third didn't come much after that. I was in Petsmart for something and of course I had to stop by the bettas. There was this one little dragonscale female that was so zippy and lively. I didn't get her that day, but when I went home that night I could not get her out of my head. So, the next day (June 12th) I went back and got her! This is Hera:

Now, there's something you should know about me. I absolutely adore giant bettas. They have everything good about regular sized bettas, but in bigger packaging! I've wanted one ever since I knew of their existence. The only thing that was holding me back, however, was the fact that a lot of the giants are overseas, and I didn't want to deal with transhippers. So imagine my delight when I was searching Google and found the MN Betta Shop! Giant bettas in the US? Yes please! Tony gets in new shipments every so often and announces his next shipment on the website. I was waiting around in an airport when his site updated with the new shipment video. It was around 3 am in the morning, and I was so sleep deprived. But when I saw the video of the giants and saw one particular guy, I knew I had to have him. Despite the fact that I had been traveling all day and I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown, I made sure to contact Tony right when I got home to let him know the betta I wanted. This one would not get away, especially after the day I've had....he was shipped out the same day I sent that email.
And so I present Ivan:

(10 gal for reference)

I look at him every day and I still cannot believe that I am his caretaker. To have wanted a giant for so long and to finally be blessed with one, especially one as unique as him..it's a good feeling.

My last betta, hopefully for a while, was an impulse decision. I was at Petco on the fourth of July checking out the dollar per gallon sale, I was going to pick up a 10 gallon to divide for Genesis and Hera(they are in 3 gallon critter keepers right now). The baby betta rack was empty, but of course I stopped at the shelf of the adult bettas. I was looking at all of them and moving them around a bit for some of them to have a better chance of going home to someone, when I noticed that there were two betta babies mixed up with the adults! That was an exciting discovery. Neither of them seemed to be in any dire need of care, so I picked the one with the pretty light blue colors.

No name yet because I'm still unsure of the gender. lilnaugrim believes it is a boy and I would have gone with that had not two people on fishblr say it was a girl because of the egg spot! If anyone else would like to add their opinion that would be great, I'm honestly kind of lost with this one...because egg spot, but also bigger fins and no sign of ovaries. Ugh.

Okay, wow. That took a really long time for me to make my intro post. I promise that the other posts will not be as long! For both your sake and mine .
Boshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #2 
Boshia

I really like these pictures I took of the little one today.

Tomorrow I'll be getting the divided 10 all ready for the girls, the sealant should be dry by then. I'm letting it sit 48 hours just in case.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:27 PM   #3 
Boshia

Today was a busy day.
Both Blitz and Ivan had their water changes today. Afterwards the shrimp in Blitz's tank were really active, so I got some cool pictures. Also, look at this literal jungle he lives in:

The last picture is a testament to how much he's slowed down recently. I think it's because of the tumor, but usually he would have tried to eat the shrimp.

The sealant on the divided 10 was finally dry today, so I set that up. I want only live plants in there, but that'll have to wait for my next paycheck.

There's still a lot to do with it. But for now it'll do.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #4 
Boshia

Genesis:

Hera:

Jade:

Old 07-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #5 
vaetki

Hera's coloration is gorgeous! Such a lucky find. and WOW Ivan looks massive in that picture of him in the 10g. Thanks for sharing! :D
vaetki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #6 
Boshia

Thank you! She really does have nice coloration, it's a shame that she's a pain to take pictures of. And Ivan uses up every inch of his 10 gallon, I can't imagine him in anything smaller. Thank you for your kind words!
Old 07-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #7 
Boshia

Let's see. Some things have happened since I last updated. On the 12th I came home with another betta, I've named him Knox. He's very angry.

I've also took an updated picture of Blitz's tumor yesterday. He's slowed down a lot and I had to bring his pellets down to him with tweezers so he would eat the other day. This was June 24th:

And yesterday:

With the rate at which it's growing I don't know if he has long left, but I don't want to think about that. For now I'm just going to enjoy his company and his wiggles.

And a few days ago I rescaped Jade's tank so she only has natural plants. It still needs to grow and it needs tweaking, but I'm happy with how it is at the moment.

Some pictures of Jade I took on the 13th, I was trying to see if there were any ovaries.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:12 PM   #8 
andakin

Are those giant java fern leaves?!
andakin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:54 AM   #9 
Elleth

Comment as to Jade's gender:

Males can have eggspots too, especially when they're young. My male baby betta has an eggspot, but definitely no ovaries. I even have an adult male (Strange) with an eggspot. (And he's most definitely a male, lol!)

In that picture of Jade with the purple/red leaf, it looks like I can see the stomach, and an empty space where the ovaries would be. Hard to tell for 100% sure from that one picture, but those innards look male to me. ;) Lol and my baby boy is a Cambodian, so I stare at his innards all the time.

Your fish are all lovely! How is Genesis doing?
Elleth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #10 
Elsewhere

Wow, what gorgeous fish! Can't wait to hear more about them and see more pictures of your gorgeous tanks!
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote