Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #101 
Elsewhere

There were eight, and now seven. Aphrodite died last night. I don't understand this! She was the healthiest of healthy yesterday, swimming around, picking on people, and today.... She's gone. I am so confused, what am I doing wrong?! All the parameters are perfect, everyone else is perfect... Well, except Andromeda, I saw a white "dot" on her head, but after further examination it's a bite, probably Aphrodite's last stand...

I'm posting this on the Disease board, I really need to know what's going on here.

Also, the sorority will be moved to my 10g within the next two weeks. I don't want to get more girls, I can't deal with that much pressure right now and deal with so much more illness that could happen. I've been getting the itch to start with other species, and I also want to know if maybe the Cories and Otos could be causing all of this. I'll first need to get my new fish, QT them, get the girls out if more aren't dead by then, then do a huge switch....

Anyways, just trying to figure things out in my head here.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #102 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh no, I'm so sorry Elsewhere!!

It could be the oto's that brought in disease, they are all wild caught so they carry a whole host of things often times

I'm so sorry though, that is very tough. There's a few things that I can think of, one being some sort of bacterial infection that is causing their deaths and the other would be Myco's but you'd notice a sort of "sulk" before they die. Generally they go into Dropsy mode and then just drop off like that but it will happen quick, like your girls have been; just overnight and boom, dead. But I think you'd be seeing a lot more deaths and also in your boy's and the other fish if it was Myco's. Especially if you use the same equipment for all of them, like siphons and buckets.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #103 
Elsewhere

I made sure the Otos were healthy, they're thriving and don't look sick... I just don't know. Plus, they've been in there a while, since at least June, why would I just notice this now?

Yes, all equipment is shared, I never thought that would do something to the boys... But they're all healthy as horses! Unless you count Atlas, who keeps giving me this "I am SO BORED" look. No one had a "sulk" before they died, except of course Athena, who I caught the symptoms of. But the other two were perfect! Pandora didn't eat the day before, but she's missed some meals. She was playing in the "Cory Log" when it was feeding time...
Old 07-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #104 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It could also be that stress is a factor, this plays a huge role in sororities. No matter what you do, there will always be bacteria and other organisms in the water, waiting for a fish to be compromised. So if a girl is stressed, getting picked on or stressed about being alpha or just stressed that there are other girls and this does happen, she would then be compromised and the stuff that's lurking in water can come up and attack unnoticed.

It's one of the con's of having a sorority, everyone is stressed most or all of the time even if they don't look it. Female Betta's are not social by nature so they don't like to be around others but it works because they do not intentionally kill one another. And that's why we do it, can't keep males together at all so we keep the females.

There are varying degree's of how this will work and sometimes you'll hit things right on the head, you'll have enough plants, hiding places and everyone will be fed enough but you slip up on one of those three things and it can go downhill fast or never quite be good in the first place. Not saying this to you specificially, just talking in general really. Even my sorority, I need more hiding places for sure and I notice more often than not girls come up with ripped and nipped fins so I know they aren't happy or content per se but they aren't killing each other.

So anyway, stress is one of the biggest factors in a sorority and it can be a killer sometimes and it's super unfortunate

Sorry to lecture or anything, didn't mean to >.< I just hope to help out a bit but I'm sure you know most of this stuff already.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #105 
Elsewhere

Yes, I knew this already, but I enjoyed this little recap... I too need more hiding spaces, but I have a lot already along with tons of plants. I also feel like if they're in this smaller area I can plant it much more heavily than in the 30g, where there always seems to be spaces missing... I'm going to PetSmart this week to get some more plants (also using a lot of others I already have) to get the 10g going. I monitor them all much more closely in it, and I feel as if it is the Otos or Cories causing it I can deal with it in there much easier... Thank you for all of your help, Lilnaugrim, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #106 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm glad I could help a little bit, if not reassure.

I agree though, I think the 10 will be best for them because you already have enough plants to start a Silent Cycle which is be least stressful for them and it allows for more hiding places with the plants since it is squished I think that is a good idea! I do wish you luck with it, I'm sure they'll be happier in there as well with more places to chill out and relax.

Hopefully it's just something silly like the cories or oto's and not something serious!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #107 
Elsewhere

Everyone seems good, I've already planted the 10g. It has A LOT of plants, but they need to grow out. I have literally no more gravel space to plant anything else. I've pretty much given it 6 times the amount of Seachem Flourish by accident, but there are only my older (sadly dying, it seems, but both are a year or older) snails in there and they have survived everything thus far. Including basically no cleaning, high ammonia, falling with cracked shells, becoming parents, getting tendrils bit off... Etc.

One thing that's my problem is that the 10g is my ongoing QT. I have two plans:

a) Buy all of the new fish, QT them in the 10g, if someone gets sick I'll do a lot of WC

b) Just put them in the big tank right away and risk the Corys and Otos.

I've QT-ed- with everything, but when I was inexperienced I never did and nothing happened. The same with my girls- nothing has ever happened during the QT process, just sickness after a long time...

I was thinking of two stocking ideas (getting excited again :) )

a) A school of 7 or 8 Cherry Barbs
1 Opaline Gourami

b) A school of 7 or 8 Cherry Barbs
A bunch of Guppies or Platys

What do you think, Lilnaugrim?

You've basically become my sorority buddy LOL
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #108 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh that's good about the 10 then!!! And QT'ing depends on where you get them. At my LFS, I never QT anything except girls when I'm introducing but they only stay in the cup for a few day's and the're out. But if you're buying from a bigger place that is basically flipping fish on a dime, then I'd do the two week QT period. So that's up to you but I trust my LFS and they're great and I know they really take care of their fish and I've never had problems! So that's good.

As for the stocking!!! I love the idea of the first one. I'm always a sucker for a big school and then one lovely centerpiece fish! Although Betta's prevented that haha. I have to say though, I've been doing research on Gourami's lately because I'm also stocking another tank and I wanted a Golden one. Both Opaline and Golden are color variations of the 3 Spot and it includes; opaline, golden, blue, and some other's I've forgotten and I'm too lazy to look up lol. But the thing with 3 Spots is they are aggressive so small fish beware basically.

So instead of Cherry Barbs don't school much but if you're fine with that then they're good! Other species you can look into are the Purple passion Danios, basically any Danio would be good, bigger Rasboras, and Rainbowfish are good to look at. Checkered Barbs are cute too, they get a bit bigger at 2 inches so for the bigger Gourami's I'd look at fish who are definitely 2 inches or bigger, faster swimmers and not fin nippers because of the Gourami's delicate feelers.

Sorority Buddy!!! Yay!!! lol I'm totally fine with that!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #109 
Elsewhere

I would sadly be going to either PetSmart, PaulMac's Pet Supplies or Tropical Garden's, all franchises :/ So I'll probably QT a while... I really like the Gourami idea :) One thing I might be able to do is to get the fish, put the schooling fish in my 10g and the Gourami in my 2.5g if this happens after little rescue guy goes... But if not, they'll all come from the same place and be small enough to go together :)

I was reading up on Opaline's, and it said that they're actually pretty tame unless it's a tiny fish like a guppy... I think I'd like to take my chances and get one, because they are just GORGEOUS!

Would a school of Scissortail Rasboras work out?
Old 07-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #110 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah you can try it and if it doesn't work out you can rehome them or sell them you know? And yes I think the scissortail will be just fine! I wanted to do Rummynose Tetra with a Gold Gourami, mmm that would be a beautiful sight! lol But yeah, I do love the Opaline and they are gorgeous!!! I would be super interested to see how it all turns out!